Re: San Ysidro Dippers

Rebecca Fagan Coulter <impact2@...>

Here's what I can offer to anyone having difficulty finding this place (Monday
was MY first time on this trail--any Montecito regulars out there might be able
to enlighten further):

The first part of the trail is a wide dirt road, and is marked with several
signposts indicating San Ysidro and other spur trails. At one point, the road
veers left, and crosses over the creek, but the trail itself narrows and
continues up the right side of the creek and is clearly marked with a sign that
says "Trail." Follow it. You'll go through some fairly dense oak/bay woodland,
and will climb a little away from the creek, but you'll keep dropping down to
within sight of it. Stay to the right of the creek, and follow the trail. Just
before you come to the swimming hole, you'll pass a sheer rock face on the right
side of the trail. You're almost there. I checked a trail guide last night at the
bookstore that says the swimming hole is about 1.5 miles from the trailhead. You
can't miss the pool--it's deeper than any other you've seen so far along the way,
and is a natural spot for a dip (not to mention a couple of dippers, which were
right there above it).

Good luck.
Rebecca Coulter
impact2@...

Becky Hoban wrote:

Hi All,

We went down there to see the Dippers this a.m. and located the creek and
the trail without a problem. Once on the trail however, we failed to find
the "swimming hole". We saw the other trail markers and ignored them
sticking to what seemed to be the main (widest part) trail. We went around
the gate at the trailhead, but eventually came to another chain link gate
that we had to walk around. Eventually, we found that the creek crossed
the road and we had to step over it. We estimate that we hiked well over a
mile until the trail (the wide trail) went left up a steep hill and moved
away from the creek. Is it before that 2nd gate??? Before the little
creek crossing??? Also, are there any landmarks that actually indicate
where the swimming hole is??? We didn't see anything that looked large
enough for a swimming hole, but on the way back down the trail tried to
check out every quiet pool and large boulder with bird droppings on it to
see if that qualified as a possible swimming hole.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated...!! (We did find 2 very
nice Canyon Wrens, though! :-)

thanks!
Becky Hoban
bhoban@...

At 12:08 PM 8/31/99 -0700, you wrote:
Maybe even more specific. For those that don't know, some subscribers are
from
outside Santa Barbara County (thanks to you all). Perhaps noting the nearest
city or town would be helpful. There are members to this group from SLO Co,
Santa Maria, Lompoc, Santa Ynez Valley, the south coast (and places in
between),
and Ventura Co. I think it helps if we can be as specific as possible- assume
that someone might come from out of town to see a good bird and is not
familiar
with the location.

Jamie Chavez
jcwings@...

Rebecca Fagan Coulter wrote:

Karen B. had indicated it in her message yesterday, but people may not have
seen that. Here are the directions to San Ysidro Creek:

101 to San Ysidro Road
N. on San Ysidro to East Valley Road
Right on East Valley Road to Park Lane
Left on Park Lane to the fork: East and West Park Lane
Take West Park Lane, drive to top of road, park in area on left.
Trail begins at the chain link fence.

There are a few trails up there that intersect; keep to the San Ysidro
Creek
trail. The swimming hole is just over a mile up (according to my very shaky
distance estimate--if anyone else can be more specific that would be
great!).

Rebecca
impact2@...

Mike Stiles wrote:

Hi
Just a suggestion, but it would be helpful, especially for us out-of-town
birders, if locations were a little more specific. I don't know where San
Ysidro Creek is, for example.

Thanks
Mike Stiles
mstiles@...