Lion Canyon March 23-25, 2007

Mike Stiles

I spent three days at Lion Canyon along the Sierra Madre Ridge in northeast SB county.

Some birds of note:

Mountain Chickadee - 2, vocalizing, oddly in the chapparal along the ridge line (in migration?)
Grasshopper Sparrow - several in the grassy potreros along the ridge
Chipping Sparrow - adults in several locations
Prairie Falcon - copulating pair

I had numerous Western Screech, Great Horned, and Barn Owls in the canyon, a few Western Kingbirds, one Golden Eagle, plus many of the regulars, most in full song.

I had a very brief look at what I thought was Calliope Hummingbird, but upon further review will have to recant that.

Also had a brief sighting and chat with Mark Holmgren along the ridge line on my walk out.

Mike Stiles
Los Osos, CA