Santa Barbara County Big Day #bigday

Peter Gaede

S.B. Birders --

Last night (4/27) Hugh Ranson, John Storrer and I ended a fantastic
20 hours of birding, big-day style, where we counted a total of 190
species. There were really no major rarity stand-outs, but instead
just nice combination of breeding birds, lingering winter visitors,
and a few migrants. We started off the day with 5 different owls and
Common Poorwill (all before dawn), and ran through the day finding
most of our target birds. To our surprise, the timing of stops in the
afternoon went especially well, and produced a fair number of new
species quickly. Birds that we hadn't seen where we might have
expected them began appearing, such as a MacGillivray's Warbler
calling and catching our attention near the car as we were getting
ready to leave the museum parking lot, a Western Wood-Pewee that was
absent from the mountains and foothills but showed up in the lowlands
on the Santa Ynez River, and a male Allen's Hummingbird found in a
tree behind the USA Gas on Carrillo Street. During the remaining few
minutes of light last night we were scrambling to find Downy
Woodpecker, American Robin, Vaux's Swift, Peregrine Falcon, Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher and Black Turnstone, the last four of which we never
ended up seeing.

A few of our highlights were finding 106 Yellow-headed Blackbirds, a
White-faced Ibis and two Common Moorhen at the Los Carneros/Mesa
wetlands, seeing 6 species of hummingbird, a late Merlin at Devereux
Slough, numerous Lazuli Buntings at many locations and all
elevations, and a MacGillivray's Warbler at the Santa Barbara Museum
of Natural History. Most of all, it was a fun day in the field with
great birding friends.

Peter Gaede
Santa Barbara

Here is our list of birds: