Topics

Las Cruzitas Ranch

Cruz Phillips

I know I should post more often.  This week we have had a big push of Common Poorwills with one to two on the dirt road in and up to four on the road up Johnson Cyn here on the ranch.  I expect a few will stay through the winter.  Two White-tailed Kites have been working the upper field.  They arrived on the 21st.  A rock wren at the feedlot also arrived on the 21st.  Although we were seeing a few Vesper Sparrows in with Savananahs at the feed lot in the past few weeks, the total number of grassland sparrows this year is way down.  Last week we had a White-winged Dove stay for 48 hours, which is unusually long for us.  In most years, individual doves pass through in a few hours.  A White-throated Sparrow arrived on the 22nd and looks like it is going to stay.  No big rarities yet this fall.

Cruz Phillips
Las Cruzitas Ranch