Topics

Goleta wetlands, Sunday

Nick Lethaby

I did a quick tour of LLC, Goleta Beach, Area K, Stork Field, and Devereux late morning. Didn't use a scope to properly check any of them. LLC is getting nicely full, but still well short of the overflow level. If the overflow pond actually gets full, then I will declare the drought over. Area K has lots of water as do the surrounding areas.

Gull variety was similarly disappointing to Ocean Beach yesterday with no GW, Herring, or Thayer's, and just a couple of hybrids. I didn't check the gull flock on NCOS closely, but there was nothing obviously good.

Area K and the surrounding ponds had a nice variety of ducks including 4 BW Teal. These were probably the most interesting birds I saw.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200
Work: 805 562 5106

Dave Compton

I hit many of the same spots Nick did over the past couple of days, to get an idea of what the water birds are doing after the big rain Saturday morning.

The only addition of even minor note was that this afternoon I saw a female COMMON GOLDENEYE at North Campus Open Space. My Blue-winged Teal count at Area K yesterday was about 10, and I suspect there were more than that. There were reasonably good numbers of gulls at NCOS, Goleta Beach, and Goleta Slough in one of the basins (B/C) northeast from Area K. But, as Nick said, nothing unusual.

I did want to comment on NCOS. The restoration here has added a new element to water bird occurrence. In the past, it would attract some geese and maybe some large shorebirds. But now, if you want to check on the shorebirds or the ducks around Devereux, a trip around to NCOS will be necessary to know what's going on. More habitat, more birds, more birding.

And a comment on geese in Goleta. I could find only a handful of geese, despite looking for them all over Goleta the past two days. Looks like recent eBird reports haven't had more than 30 Canadas anywhere, and it's been a while since anyone has reported Ross's or Greater White-fronted.

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 3:26 PM Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...> wrote:
[...]

Hugh Ranson

Dave mentioned the lack of geese. On Thursday I saw a skein of geese heading west over Hollister School that consisted of c. 30 Canadas and two white geese. I’m guessing they were flying from Laguna Blanca, which is probably filling and more attractive to geese.

Hugh Ranson
SB

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 04:14 PM, Dave Compton <davcompton60@...> wrote:
[...]

Bradley Hacker

No unusual gulls/ducks noted at Ocean Beach or Oso Flaco (SLO Co.) today by me either.
Santa Maria River mouth is closed, by the way.

I spoke with a state game warden at Ocean Beach today who told me that prior to the river breaking out to the ocean, the water had covered the entire marsh and road (some new boat hulks high and dry were the only evidence I noted of this event). Would have been a good time to see marsh birds (e.g., bitterns) getting flushed; sorry I missed it and hope to make an effort to be there when the marsh floods prior to breakout next year.

On 2/3/2019 16:14, Dave Compton wrote:
[...]

Bradley R. Hacker             Professor of Geology
Dept of Earth Science and Earth Research Institute
University of California, Santa Barbara CA 93106-9630
www.geol.ucsb.edu/faculty/hacker
laser ablation split-stream facility: www.petrochronology.com
EPMA, SEM & EBSD facility: sites.google.com/site/semgeolucsb

Wim van Dam

On my more recent visits to Goleta Sanitary Plant I noticed that the number of Canada Goose there seems to be dropping significantly the past year. I would not be surprised if SB Airport has something to do with that.

Wim

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 4:14 PM Dave Compton <davcompton60@...> wrote:
[...]

Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
SBCO #383: Blue-winged Warbler

Rebecca Coulter

To add a comment on the geese: this morning around 8:30, a flock of 36 Canada Goose and 2 white Chen sp (I suspect Snow but couldn’t be certain) flew over my house and the SB municipal golf course, circled a few times, and returned toward the northwest without settling anywhere. There are two ponds on the course that might attract the geese—as well as a lot of wet grass and no doubt delicious wriggly things—but they were not convinced. They honked continuously, which is how I knew they were flying low overhead. My golfing sources say the geese are not regular on this course.

Rebecca Coulter
SB