Topics

Unusual Nuttall's Woodpecker

Marge and Don Thornton

While birding Los Carneros, this morning we came across a Nuttall's Woodpecker that had a red crown very far forward on its head. This lead us to wonder if it was possibly a hybrid with a Ladder-backed Woodpecker.   Our ebird checklist has a photo.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58126201

Marge and Don Thornton
Goleta, Ca

Joe Morlan

Marge & Don,

We have a similar bird coming to our suet. I think it's a juvenile
Nuttall's.

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Adam Lewis (sbfledgling)

I had a juvy Nutall's yard bird exactly 2 years ago just like this. I live about a hundred yards north of the Stow House.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sbfledgling/35818221052/in/album-72157683637332614/lightbox/ and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sbfledgling/35818220732/in/album-72157683637332614/lightbox/

Adam lewis
Goleta

We have a similar bird coming to our suet. I think it's a juvenile Nuttall's.

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:51:53 -0700, "Marge and Don Thornton via Groups.Io"
<thorntonmlt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

While birding Los Carneros, this morning we came across a Nuttall's Woodpecker that had a red crown very far forward on its head. This lead us to wonder if it was possibly a hybrid with a Ladder-backed Woodpecker. Our ebird checklist has a photo.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58126201

Marge and Don Thornton
Goleta, Ca

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Mark Holmgren

Hi Marge and Don,
You have a juvenile Nuttall's Woodpecker.  If you also witnessed a connection to an adult (being fed by it, being closely tended by it, begging from it), you have documented a breeding event.
The juveniles of most local black and white woodpeckers show a forward dullish red patch on the crown and forecrown.  You can also notice the very fresh, very uniformly fresh, lax plumage of your bird.  Adult feathers are frayed, sometimes dirty, and often not as lustrous and fluffy as the plumage of their offspring.
This breeding period when fledglings are associated with parents--from May through late July--is wonderful because we can distinguish fresh young birds from worn and frayed adults. (By late July and August many adults begin their annual molt and by Sept they too look fresh and in many species they are barely distinguishable from youngins.) Along with recognition of the plumage differences between the sexes, we can look at a situation in the field between May through late July and interpret the behaviours and ecological roles of breeding birds.  This is what all of you who contribute to the Breeding Bird Study do.

Most grateful,

Mark Holmgren and Adrian O'Loghlen
Goleta

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:51 PM Marge and Don Thornton via Groups.Io <thorntonmlt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
While birding Los Carneros, this morning we came across a Nuttall's Woodpecker that had a red crown very far forward on its head. This lead us to wonder if it was possibly a hybrid with a Ladder-backed Woodpecker.   Our ebird checklist has a photo.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58126201

Marge and Don Thornton
Goleta, Ca

Marge and Don Thornton

We would like to thank those who let us know that our Nuttall's Woodpecker was just a juvenile.  The picture of a juvenile in our old Sibleys did not show the red so far forward.  Thanks again.

By the way, we noticed a pair of White-tailed Kites attacking a Red-shouldered Hawk as it flew by the windmill behind the Stow House.  There may be a nest in that area.

Marge and Don Thornton
Goleta, Ca.