Topics

Elings Park

Mark Bright

Darn, got up to that cedar tree Peter mentioned twenty minutes after his post. But couldn't find the Yellow-breasted Chat. After a few minutes a Cooper's Hawk did swoop into and land in that same cedar flushing and scattering most of the birds in the vicinity. There was a White-breasted Nuthatch in the bottlebrush tree across the street and a California Thrasher nearby in the park. Also couldn't find the Grasshopper Sparrow close to the stone bench, I did see a Savannah Sparrow there.

Mark Bright
Santa Barbara

Peter Gaede

This morning there was a Grasshopper Sparrow in the tall grass and fennel east of the stone bench. Also a Yellow-breasted Chat in the large Deodar Cedar overhanging the park boundary at the end of Calle Montilla.

Peter Gaede
Santa Barbara

On Sep 2, 2019, at 9:32 PM, Hugh Ranson <zonetail@...> wrote:

This afternoon (Monday), I took a look around the plateau area (paraglider take off region) of Elings Park. Habitat has never looked so good up there with lots of flowering fennel (and plenty about to flower) and thistles. Nothing exciting to report, but there were lots of birds, mostly Lesser Goldfinches. I don't think I've ever seen so many in one place. At one point, after I pished near the stone bench, I counted forty plus around me. I would estimate somewhere in the region of 100 on the plateau. Also present were good numbers of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers in the fennel which would seem to indicate there's plenty to eat. Now we just have to wait for the warblers. The fennel was good for Virginia's Warblers last year when it didn't look half so attractive (at least to human eyes).

Yesterday in late afternoon a flock of 20 ibis flew east over More Mesa, possibly the Devereux birds plus a few hitch-hikers.

Hugh Ranson
Santa Barbara

Nick Lethaby

I have checked about 3 areas for passerine migrants the last few days and seen nothing. I suspect we are off to a late start this season, at least for Western migrants.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 9:32 PM Hugh Ranson <zonetail@...> wrote:
[...]

Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200
Work: 805 562 5106