Topics

[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Costa's Hummingbird (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (2 reports)
- Horned Lark (8 reports)

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (1)
- Reported Sep 04, 2019 18:38 by Casey Richart
- Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4567922,-119.710266&ll=34.4567922,-119.710266
- Comments: "Adult male. Dark purple gorget flaring. Green dorsally. Same locality as last report, along ridge just S of Island View."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 04, 2019 17:07 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3996863,-119.5353699&ll=34.3996863,-119.5353699
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Immature foraging in the muddy channel near the picnic bench at the south end of the causeway, near the entrance lagoon. First time I’ve seen one there."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 04, 2019 17:07 by World Shorebirds Day
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3996863,-119.5353699&ll=34.3996863,-119.5353699
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Immature foraging in the muddy channel near the picnic bench at the south end of the causeway, near the entrance lagoon. First time I’ve seen one there."

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2019 13:28 by Linda Pittman
- Aliso Canyon Road, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9350598,-119.7259998&ll=34.9350598,-119.7259998

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2019 13:28 by Michele Swartout
- Aliso Canyon Road, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9350598,-119.7259998&ll=34.9350598,-119.7259998

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2019 17:40 by Michele Swartout
- Foothill Rd. (SBA), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.897477,-119.506247&ll=34.897477,-119.506247

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2019 17:40 by Linda Pittman
- Foothill Rd. (SBA), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.897477,-119.506247&ll=34.897477,-119.506247

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (2)
- Reported Sep 01, 2019 09:30 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama--Foothill Rd, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.8986359,-119.653557&ll=34.8986359,-119.653557

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (50)
- Reported Sep 01, 2019 10:45 by John Callender
- San Miguelito Road at Sudden Road, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5748893,-120.516743&ll=34.5748893,-120.516743

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (2)
- Reported Sep 03, 2019 07:15 by Anonymous eBirder
- Santa Barbara Canyon, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.8446954,-119.5384598&ll=34.8446954,-119.5384598

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (2)
- Reported Sep 01, 2019 18:15 by Anonymous eBirder
- Southern Cuyama Valley Grasslands, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.8032135,-119.4517392&ll=34.8032135,-119.4517392

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Eastern Kingbird (1 report)

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2)
- Reported Sep 06, 2019 08:00 by Tom Beland
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Comments: "white stripe, red eye, shorter bill"

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) (1)
- Reported Sep 06, 2019 07:12 by Jamie Chavez
- Gaviota SP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4727321,-120.228442&ll=34.4727321,-120.228442
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Dark-backed kingbird with white throat and contrasting blackish head. The bird was all white below and it showed a pale terminal band on the dark tail. At one point it appeared to squabble with a Black Phoebe and uttered short call notes which is how I initially noticed it. It was originally found on the brushy slope under the train trestle, then flew to the top of the small clump of tamarisk trees at the base of the pier. It flew off and I was unable to relocate it. Poor back-lit photos were obtained"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Lesser Nighthawk (1 report)
- Horned Lark (2 reports)
- Bobolink (1 report)
- Worm-eating Warbler (2 reports)

Lesser Nighthawk (Chordeiles acutipennis) (6)
- Reported Sep 06, 2019 18:45 by Anonymous eBirder
- Quatal Canyon (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.819282,-119.4588733&ll=34.819282,-119.4588733
- Comments: "Continuing. Arrived precisely at the moment of sunset. Did not feed above the pond, but high over the riverbed. Only stayed a few minutes"

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (60)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 08:00 by Anonymous eBirder
- Aliso Canyon Road, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9350598,-119.7259998&ll=34.9350598,-119.7259998

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (20)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 07:30 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9519718,-119.6969408&ll=34.9519718,-119.6969408

Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 08:35 by Peter Gaede
- Elings Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4098484,-119.7349691&ll=34.4098484,-119.7349691
- Comments: "With large goldfinch flock feeding in tall grass and fennel approximately 150 yards east of the stone bench (about half way between stone bench and Calle Andalucia entrance to park). Flushed from ground to top of fennel for extended looks. Non-breeding plumage: overall buff-orange with a relatively bright yellow wash at the throat and upper breast. Plain orange face, dark line extending past the eye, and a contrasting dark crown. Patterned back and wings. Flew up and called once, then went back down a short distance away to the ground into dense grass and fennel."

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 11:59 by Santiago Lupi
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "I saw it well but only for a few seconds. It was brown and Buffy with a large bill and black stripes on its head. Seen at it’s usual spot."

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 09:20 by Thomas Turner
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "Drab, buffy warbler with three black stripes on head. Seen with Dave Levasheff, who has photos. Continuing bird found by Nick L and redound by Bill Murdoch. Location:
https://goo.gl/maps/4id2gGb6toHvqKaaA"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Cackling Goose (1 report)
- Common Ground Dove (1 report)
- Worm-eating Warbler (2 reports)
- Lucy's Warbler (2 reports)

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2019 08:30 by Kurt Wahl
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9029675,-120.4392958&ll=34.9029675,-120.4392958
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "very very small goose, short bill, white necklace"

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2019 06:36 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Comments: "Distinctive series of single, ascending hoots heard to the south from near (34.4009608, -119.4919989)."

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 16:09 by John Callender
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird found by Nick Lethaby. Seen briefly and photographed near the same location it was previously seen (34.423044, -119.886429). I observed the bird first through binoculars as it foraged in a eucalyptus about 50 feet directly overhead. My initial impression was of a compact, short-tailed warbler that was on the sluggish side. The tail was dark. The cream-colored belly blended into a darkish yellow (caramel/mustard-colored) breast and throat. As I followed the bird through the foliage I got a brief flash of a strong pattern that I thought might be the bold striping on the head. At that point I switched to my camera, and got a few shots before the bird (which was loosely associating with a mixed flock that included an Orange-crowned Warbler and two Blue-gray Gnatcatchers) flew into the larger eucalyptus trees immediately to the east, where I lost it. Photos show dark smudging on the undertail coverts, a buffy/mustard-colored throat, a sharply pointed beak, and a hint of a dark eye stripe."

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 09:21 by Libby Patten
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "Found originally by Nick Lethaby and refound by Bill Murdoch and others. Seen halfway up a tall tree on the short dead-end trail which heads north from the ‘willow trail’ which starts just west of the end of Ellwood Beach Drive. Got a decent short look from below. Warbler with light buff-colored underside and clear black line through its eye. Didn’t get clear view of its crown. At one point it flew to a different tree and sang its high-pitched trill song once. Unmistakable. Then flew behind us and not refound while I was there. "

Lucy's Warbler (Leiothlypis luciae) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2019 12:07 by Mark Holmgren
- Refugio SB, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4643601,-120.0694835&ll=34.4643601,-120.0694835
- Comments: "Small, dull-gray warbler foraging with Bushtits in Schinus molle near the park entrance. Pale gray below, gray head, gray mantle. Winds darker than body. Short tail. Black eye against dull gray face. The breast looked dingy compared to the rest of the underparts, and my first thought when I saw this was that the bird was a Virginia's Warbler, as I interpreted this off color area as being yellow. But a longer look revealed that it was NOT yellow. Also, the under tail coverts were clearly grayish white, and the bird did not have a prominent eye ring. I did not get a look at the rump."

Lucy's Warbler (Leiothlypis luciae) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2019 12:07 by David Compton
[...]

- Reported Sep 09, 2019 14:25 by Margaret Lyons
- (34.398, -119.527), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3983383,-119.5274572&ll=34.3983383,-119.5274572

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2019 10:00 by Cole Diem
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Comments: "Immature bird, very distinct from both adult and young Black-crowned Night Heron."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Lesser Nighthawk (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Worm-eating Warbler (1 report)

Lesser Nighthawk (Chordeiles acutipennis) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 09, 2019 19:30 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9519718,-119.6969408&ll=34.9519718,-119.6969408
- Comments: "Over the main pond, which is the first time they have been seen there. Flying west to east"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 09, 2019 16:32 by Betsy Mooney
- Goleta Beach Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4173939,-119.8280364&ll=34.4173939,-119.8280364
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Observed by itself on opposite side of Goleta Slough. Brown overall with white streaking and tear-shaped spotting. Thick black bill."

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 09:40 by Curtis Marantz
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "I arrived this morning about 15 minutes after others had seen this bird, yet more than two hours had elapsed before Jeff relocated the warbler as it moved along a eucalyptus branch over the narrow track to the north of its intersection with the main trail. Unfortunately, the warbler flew off after I had seen it for only a few seconds as a small, brownish bird that was creeping along the branch. I heard intermittent calls by this bird over the following half-hour, yet it took me almost two hours to see the bird amid the dense vegetation of a vine-covered tree along the riparian corridor 50 meters west of the trail from which the other observations had been made. The warbler spent several minutes in this tree, but the vegetation was so dense that it was difficult to see for extended periods of time, so I had it in view for no more than a minute in total. I lost track of the warbler for about a half-hour, before I again heard it call several times and I again saw it for a few seconds before it flew off to the east toward the trail and disappeared. The warbler was difficult to see and hard to follow because it was often hidden amid dense vegetation in which it worked clusters of live leaves and vine tangles as opposed to the dead leaves that it was visiting when initially seen in the eucalyptus. I located this bird by hearing its distinctive, yet easily overlooked, calls that I described as a thin “zeeeet” that was intermediate in quality between the buzzy, “zeeet” flight-call of a Yellow Warbler, and the clear, “seeet” of an Orange-crowned Warbler, but unlike the calls of these species, this bird called in series of twos or threes.
My views of this bird were more than sufficient to identify it with confidence, yet they were not overly satisfying, given that my best views of it were directly from below and in dense shade. I was nevertheless able to note that this was a small bird that seemed similar in size to the other warblers that were in the area, but also seemingly plumper overall, with a seemingly large head and a long bill, but little in the way of a neck. Further apparent from below was that the tail was relatively short, maybe comparable to the length of the body without the head and neck, broader than that of an Orange-crowned Warbler, and with a square tip. The long, tapered undertail-coverts reached about halfway out the tail. I never did see the wingtips, the primary projection, or the placement of the wingtips relative to the tail or undertail coverts.
Given my position below this bird, I saw its underparts far better than the upperparts. I was therefore able to see that the throat and breast were a rich buff to nearly cinnamon-buff in color and with any obvious markings. The belly was beige and unmarked, but the flanks were a little darker and more olive. The undertail coverts were about the same shade of beige as the belly, but they also had dusky brown centers to the various feathers that gave the undertail coverts a distinctly spotted appearance. The underside of the tail itself was uniformly dark, and seemingly olive-brown. I did not see paler corners to the tail or any suggestion of tail spots. My views of the head, upperparts, and wings were brief. I saw a relatively narrow, but sharply demarcated, postocular-stripe that was blackish if not truly black, and which was bordered above by a pale supercilium, but I did not clearly see the lateral crown-stripes or the median stripe when the bird was in the vine tangles. The wings were dark and not boldly marked, but I easily could have missed some subtle contrast, and I had only an impression that the wings were olive as opposed to brown. It was only when I saw the bird in the ash tree that I thought I saw a striped crown, but I was unable to make out any detail.
When seen from below, the underside of the bill appeared to be entirely flesh-colored, the eyes were dark, and the legs also appeared to be either pinkish or flesh colored."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Greater Yellowlegs (1 report)
- Worm-eating Warbler (1 report)

Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) (1)
- Reported Sep 11, 2019 11:37 by Michael Hilchey
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Hanging out on beach and in marsh. Large wader with long slightly upturned bill, long yellow legs, all white belly, back wings and chest mottled white black and gray. White rump in flight. Call a very loud emphatic tew tew tew! "

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 10, 2019 07:30 by Sangeet Khalsa
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Went searching around the spot where the bird had been previously seen, as posted by J. Callender. Scoured the Eucs above and followed an OCWA, some bushtits, and a couple of PSFLs thinking it might be associating w/them. I found it a bit to the north, mid~canopy, hopping about, gleaning. Noted the buffy undersides, long pale bill, and eye/headstripes. Got a few decent (lucky) photos."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Lesser Nighthawk (1 report)
- Greater Yellowlegs (3 reports)
- Worm-eating Warbler (3 reports)

Lesser Nighthawk (Chordeiles acutipennis) (2)
- Reported Sep 11, 2019 18:30 by Anonymous eBirder
- Quatal Canyon (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.819282,-119.4588733&ll=34.819282,-119.4588733
- Comments: "Continuing. Presumably the very last birds waiting to begin migration"

Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) (1)
- Reported Sep 11, 2019 11:37 by Karen Seward
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Hanging out on beach and in marsh. Large wader with long slightly upturned bill, long yellow legs, all white belly, back wings and chest mottled white black and gray. White rump in flight. Call a very loud emphatic tew tew tew! "

Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) (1)
- Reported Sep 11, 2019 11:37 by Diane Bricmont
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Hanging out on beach and in marsh. Large wader with long slightly upturned bill, long yellow legs, all white belly, back wings and chest mottled white black and gray. White rump in flight. Call a very loud emphatic tew tew tew!"

Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) (1)
- Reported Sep 11, 2019 11:37 by deborah grimes
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Hanging out on beach and in marsh. Large wader with long slightly upturned bill, long yellow legs, all white belly, back wings and chest mottled white black and gray. White rump in flight. Call a very loud emphatic tew tew tew!"

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 12, 2019 09:05 by Elaine Tan
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "Continuing since Nick Lethaby found it Sep 5, description and photos TBA"

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 12, 2019 08:40 by Pete Wolf
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "(34.423094, -119.886368) Continuing... flew up from the ground... hung around in the trees on the West side of the path heading North (about 30-40 ft from fork) for several minutes then disappeared again... I waited a little while to see if I could get a better picture but it did not re-appear. Distinct striping on head and through eye."

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 12, 2019 08:10 by margeNdon thornton
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "active in the mid canopy , light colored somewhat gray on back, buffy throat and breast, smudgy white behind the pink legs"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- White-winged Dove (1 report)

White-winged Dove (Zenaida asiatica) (1)
- Reported Sep 13, 2019 09:15 by Jim Howard
- Santa Cruz Island--Scorpion Campground, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0488223,-119.5624803&ll=34.0488223,-119.5624803
- Comments: "1 individual, white crescents on wings, bordered by black. Feeding near ranger housing up slope of campground."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Lesser Nighthawk (1 report)
- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Worm-eating Warbler (1 report)
- Northern Waterthrush (1 report)
- Blackpoll Warbler (1 report)

Lesser Nighthawk (Chordeiles acutipennis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 13, 2019 19:14 by Peter Gaede
- Arroyo Burro Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4024482,-119.7432518&ll=34.4024482,-119.7432518
- Comments: "The bird was observed flying west to east along the bluffs and beach directly overhead. Nighthawk shape and flight style, with white wing patches relatively close to wing tips. It flew leisurely with irregular wingbeats but flew in a direct path and did not appear to land. Flew towards the Wilcox property (aka Douglas Family Preserve) and out of sight."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 14, 2019 08:27 by Thomas Turner
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Gape less than 90 degrees and bordered by white. No yellow skin above eye. Continuing bird roosting in eucalyptus near bridge to nowhere. "

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 12, 2019 09:30 by Peter Gaede
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "Continuing; seen with several others in the general location where originally found. The bird was foraging in a Eucalyptus tree approximately 20 high. Seen only briefly, but at relatively close range. Warbler with overall buff orange tones, striped head pattern."

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Sep 14, 2019 16:21 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird reported earlier today by Nick Lethaby. In the creekbed about 150 feet north of 6th Street. Brown above, heavily streaked below, constant tail-pumping as it foraged on the banks of the creek. Loud “pink” calls."

Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 14, 2019 08:35 by David Compton
- Refugio SB, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4643601,-120.0694835&ll=34.4643601,-120.0694835
- Comments: "Continuing tailless individual"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Lesser Nighthawk (1 report)
- Greater Yellowlegs (1 report)
- Herring Gull (1 report)
- Black-and-white Warbler (1 report)
- Blackpoll Warbler (1 report)

Lesser Nighthawk (Chordeiles acutipennis) (1)
- Reported Sep 15, 2019 18:40 by Anonymous eBirder
- Quatal Canyon (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.819282,-119.4588733&ll=34.819282,-119.4588733
- Comments: "Single bird. Presumably one of the last individuals lingering on the breeding grounds"

Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 11, 2019 11:37 by BRANT Nature Tours
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Hanging out on beach and in marsh. Large wader with long slightly upturned bill, long yellow legs, all white belly, back wings and chest mottled white black and gray. White rump in flight. Call a very loud emphatic tew tew tew! "

Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) (1)
- Reported Sep 15, 2019 15:01 by Benjamin Byerly
- Refugio SB, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4643601,-120.0694835&ll=34.4643601,-120.0694835
- Comments: "Pale gray back, bright yellow eyes "

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 15, 2019 09:16 by Mark Holmgren
- Kinevan Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5069163,-119.8225639&ll=34.5069163,-119.8225639
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Bird was at the only point where the creek has a bit of a bend. This point is 2/3 of the way between the 2 bridges. In the 5 min I spent with the bird it preferred Big-toothed Maple."

Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 15, 2019 15:01 by Benjamin Byerly
- Refugio SB, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4643601,-120.0694835&ll=34.4643601,-120.0694835
- Comments: "Continuing tail-less bird. Two white wing bars, pale yellow breast with white belly/vent. In large tree west of stone bridge. "

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Blackpoll Warbler (1 report)

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Sep 16, 2019 16:21 by Barry Tillman
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Smaller than dc cormorant. Long tail. No yellow on the face at all. White gular border. Previously reported bird. "

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (3)
- Reported Sep 16, 2019 19:00 by Eve Martin
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Comments: "Continuing. One immature and one sub-adult at the Franklin Creek Bridge and one immature in the channel near the outlet just east of the creek around 7:25 pm."

Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) (1)
- Reported Sep 16, 2019 13:27 by Aaron Kreisberg
- Refugio SB, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4643601,-120.0694835&ll=34.4643601,-120.0694835
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Black eyeline, two white wing bars, streaking on sides of breast with yellow wash on sides, white belly and vent. As previously described, no tail."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Neotropic Cormorant (2 reports)

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Sep 17, 2019 10:06 by Joan Kent
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Small black cormorant in tree near half bridge. Dark lores without yellow. White edging underneath the base of the bill. "

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Sep 16, 2019 16:21 by Teri Tillman
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Smaller than dc cormorant. Long tail. No yellow on the face at all. White gular border. Previously reported bird. "

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Redhead (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (3 reports)
- Virginia's Warbler (1 report)

Redhead (Aythya americana) (1)
- Reported Sep 17, 2019 13:30 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Ynez River Estuary, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.690362,-120.600358&ll=34.690362,-120.600358
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Diving frequently in the estuary west of the railroad trestle."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Sep 18, 2019 11:03 by Adrian O'Loghlen
- Dune Pond at COPR, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136777,-119.881839&ll=34.4136777,-119.881839
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Cassin's Kingbird left"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Sep 18, 2019 11:03 by Mark Holmgren
- Dune Pond at COPR, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136777,-119.881839&ll=34.4136777,-119.881839
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Cassin's Kingbird left. Tropical shows large, slender body with full lemon-yellow belly and breast, brownish and slightly forked tail with no margination, and long bill."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Sep 17, 2019 12:59 by Mark Holmgren
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Reported yesterday by Peter Schneekloth."

Virginia's Warbler (Leiothlypis virginiae) (1)
- Reported Sep 18, 2019 14:52 by Adam Searcy
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Comments: "Photos to be added"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Horned Grebe (1 report)
- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Virginia's Warbler (1 report)

Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 06:25 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9519718,-119.6969408&ll=34.9519718,-119.6969408
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Small grebe associating with Pied-Billed. Strongly marked cap, with 'rear-peaked' not rounded head, and strong white auricular. Attempted photographs but dawn light insufficient for any definition. Attached photos taken at 1600 1S0 with wide open lens. White cheek and head shape just about visible. No longer present at 3 p.m."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 15:16 by Betsy Mooney
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "In usual spot, next to a Double-breasted Cormorant. It then flew west in an arc to the middle of the slough. "

Virginia's Warbler (Leiothlypis virginiae) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 07:15 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird found yesterday by Nick Lethaby. Good views from the creekbed 150 feet north of the 8th Street Bridge as the bird foraged low on the west bank giving occasional chips. Small plain warbler, medium gray above and lighter below, prominent white eye ring, bright yellow undertail coverts. Frequent downward tail flicking."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Cackling Goose (2 reports)
- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Eastern Kingbird (1 report)

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 13:01 by Thomas St Pierre
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9029675,-120.4392958&ll=34.9029675,-120.4392958
- Comments: "Short bill. Have photos to upload later. "

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 13:01 by Susan Strasevicz
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9029675,-120.4392958&ll=34.9029675,-120.4392958
- Comments: "Short bill. Have photos to upload later. "

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 13:30 by David Compton
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing bird, now molted into adult plumage, with solid black underparts and very neat, contrasting white border to gular area. Much smaller than adjacent Double-cresteds."

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 18:30 by C Jones
- Janin Way, Solvang US-CA (34.6003,-120.1156), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.600277,-120.115592&ll=34.600277,-120.115592
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Perched on fence, black crown, eye, beak & back to dark brownish wings;white breast & belly; black legs; aerial hawking observed; long sturdy bill; posture of the more commonly observed Cassin's Kingbird."