Swainson’s hawks - south coast

Eric Culbertson <ebc101@...>

With the high cloud cover late this morning I decided to make a stationary count from the yard and hope something flys over. I was rewarded just before noon when two swainson’s hawks paused high overhead to soar before continuing west. I was able to watch them glide quite far before pausing again to gain some altitude, this time very deliberately veering northwest as they continued on their way. It was under similar weather conditions that I’ve had swainson’s hawks in the past here along the coast.

Eric Culbertson
Carpinteria

Ron Hirst

Edited

I had a group of 7 flying relatively low due to the cloud cover and a northerly wind, then thermalling up over the Riviera around 1pm. 2 flocks of Kingbirds totalling 18 birds flew by very low also.
Ron Hirst, SB

Ron Hirst

One boldly marked light phase SB Riviera flyover and thermalling at 12:30pm.  Some hawks an hour earlier and tens of kingbirds flying by at eye level. Yesterday a flock of 18 mostly TV's with some RT Hawks and perhaps a couple Swainson's. All recent viewings occur mostly with mid-level cloud cover over foothills, seemingly keeping the birds lower.  Ron Hirst, SB