Leucistic Red-tailled Hawk

Jay “Bluejay” Bishop

At 11:45 Los Carneros and Hollister in Goleta, I had a really cool looking Red-tail. About one third of this birds feathers are white. The bird looks like it spent the night under a Great Blue Heron nest. Could not get a photo but if someone does I would love to see it.
Campus point was windy but not cold. No rarities to report from there but fun nonetheless. Tons to look at.
Jay Bishop

Hi Jay,

We've had a leucistic Red-tailed Hawk in that area for several years, and it has been involved in nesting events in the area.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:24 PM Jay “Bluejay” Bishop <bluejaybishop@...> wrote:
At 11:45 Los Carneros and Hollister in Goleta, I had a really cool looking Red-tail. About one third of this birds feathers are white. The bird looks like it spent the night under a Great Blue Heron nest. Could not get a photo but if someone does I would love to see it.
Campus point was windy but not cold. No rarities to report from there but fun nonetheless. Tons to look at.
Jay Bishop
Santa Barbara

Jessie Altstatt

I meant to let folks know that I saw this hawk back on January 14, same general location. Good to hear that the bird is still in town. It/she is really gorgeous.

Thanks, Jessie

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:30 PM Dave Compton <davcompton60@...> wrote:
Hi Jay,

We've had a leucistic Red-tailed Hawk in that area for several years, and it has been involved in nesting events in the area.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:24 PM Jay “Bluejay” Bishop <bluejaybishop@...> wrote:
At 11:45 Los Carneros and Hollister in Goleta, I had a really cool looking Red-tail. About one third of this birds feathers are white. The bird looks like it spent the night under a Great Blue Heron nest. Could not get a photo but if someone does I would love to see it.
Campus point was windy but not cold. No rarities to report from there but fun nonetheless. Tons to look at.
Jay Bishop

Jessica Altstatt

Wim van Dam

Here are some 2015 photos by David Levasheff of this individual (I'm assuming):

Wim

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:30 PM Dave Compton <davcompton60@...> wrote:
Hi Jay,

We've had a leucistic Red-tailed Hawk in that area for several years, and it has been involved in nesting events in the area.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:24 PM Jay “Bluejay” Bishop <bluejaybishop@...> wrote:
At 11:45 Los Carneros and Hollister in Goleta, I had a really cool looking Red-tail. About one third of this birds feathers are white. The bird looks like it spent the night under a Great Blue Heron nest. Could not get a photo but if someone does I would love to see it.
Campus point was windy but not cold. No rarities to report from there but fun nonetheless. Tons to look at.
Jay Bishop

Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
SBCO #390: Dusky Flycatcher