Vista Point location


Wes Fritz
 

SB Birders,

Vista Point is located just south of Gaviota and can only be accessed from the south bound lanes. It is kind of a rest stop, but no bathrooms. The asphalt or parking is at the bluff edge and allows great seawatching next to your vehicle. I’m attaching a photo so you can see it from above.

The better seawatching is in the mornings between 7:00 and 9:00. But, that is when I’m using this location.

Good birding.




Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@verizon.net
Solvang CA


Florence Sanchez
 

Dear Wes and fellow birders,

You can access the Vista Point from the northbound lanes of US 101 by driving past the site for about 1/2 mile, where there will be a left-hand turn lane.  From that, you can easily double back to the entrance to the Vista Point parking area.

The bluff permits a clear view of the ocean at this point; however, it's important to note the time Wes has been watching.  I got there later than that this morning because I had other errands to run and NOTHING was flying by.  Early as possible seems to be the way to get the most out of this spot.

Florence Sanchez
 

On Friday, April 16, 2021, 11:33:32 AM PDT, Wes Fritz via groups.io <wes-fritz@...> wrote:


SB Birders,

Vista Point is located just south of Gaviota and can only be accessed from the south bound lanes. It is kind of a rest stop, but no bathrooms. The asphalt or parking is at the bluff edge and allows great seawatching next to your vehicle. I’m attaching a photo so you can see it from above.

The better seawatching is in the mornings between 7:00 and 9:00. But, that is when I’m using this location.

Good birding.




Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
Solvang CA






Thomas Turner
 

I have been paying some attention to the Spring seabird migration at Coal Oil Point for a couple years now, and have something to add about timing: there is sometimes a second push in the evening. Other birders probably know why this is; I suspect weather but maybe it has something to do with staging areas. Whatever the reason, the best times for Brant, and sometimes scoters, at Coal Oil Point are often 5-7 pm. For example, three days ago I watched at 8 am and again at 5 pm. Morning was much better for Pacific Loons (always true), but afternoon was better for Brant, Common Loons, and California Gulls. Scoters were about the same, but I think they are sometimes better late as well. This late push is very patchy, so it is presumably dependent on weather. The morning loon push seems a little more reliable. 


Another example from last year: https://ebird.org/checklist/S66754354

Tom

Isla Vista

On Apr 16, 2021, at 2:53 PM, Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11@...> wrote:

Dear Wes and fellow birders,

You can access the Vista Point from the northbound lanes of US 101 by driving past the site for about 1/2 mile, where there will be a left-hand turn lane.  From that, you can easily double back to the entrance to the Vista Point parking area.

The bluff permits a clear view of the ocean at this point; however, it's important to note the time Wes has been watching.  I got there later than that this morning because I had other errands to run and NOTHING was flying by.  Early as possible seems to be the way to get the most out of this spot.

Florence Sanchez
 

On Friday, April 16, 2021, 11:33:32 AM PDT, Wes Fritz via groups.io <wes-fritz@...> wrote:


SB Birders,

Vista Point is located just south of Gaviota and can only be accessed from the south bound lanes. It is kind of a rest stop, but no bathrooms. The asphalt or parking is at the bluff edge and allows great seawatching next to your vehicle. I’m attaching a photo so you can see it from above.

The better seawatching is in the mornings between 7:00 and 9:00. But, that is when I’m using this location.

Good birding.




Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
Solvang CA





<IMG_0601.jpg>


Wes Fritz
 

Hi all,

Tom is correct about the afternoons being fairly/really good too.

Dave Compton might chime in on this as he collected a lot of data from morning, midday and afternoons from Campus Point.

I guess, just go when you can. It is really cool to see large fights of birds.

Good birding.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...
Solvang CA

On Apr 16, 2021, at 7:19 PM, Thomas Turner <habarimbu@...> wrote:

I have been paying some attention to the Spring seabird migration at Coal Oil Point for a couple years now, and have something to add about timing: there is sometimes a second push in the evening. Other birders probably know why this is; I suspect weather but maybe it has something to do with staging areas. Whatever the reason, the best times for Brant, and sometimes scoters, at Coal Oil Point are often 5-7 pm. For example, three days ago I watched at 8 am and again at 5 pm. Morning was much better for Pacific Loons (always true), but afternoon was better for Brant, Common Loons, and California Gulls. Scoters were about the same, but I think they are sometimes better late as well. This late push is very patchy, so it is presumably dependent on weather. The morning loon push seems a little more reliable. 


Another example from last year: https://ebird.org/checklist/S66754354

Tom

Isla Vista

On Apr 16, 2021, at 2:53 PM, Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11@...> wrote:

Dear Wes and fellow birders,

You can access the Vista Point from the northbound lanes of US 101 by driving past the site for about 1/2 mile, where there will be a left-hand turn lane.  From that, you can easily double back to the entrance to the Vista Point parking area.

The bluff permits a clear view of the ocean at this point; however, it's important to note the time Wes has been watching.  I got there later than that this morning because I had other errands to run and NOTHING was flying by.  Early as possible seems to be the way to get the most out of this spot.

Florence Sanchez
 

On Friday, April 16, 2021, 11:33:32 AM PDT, Wes Fritz via groups.io <wes-fritz@...> wrote:


SB Birders,

Vista Point is located just south of Gaviota and can only be accessed from the south bound lanes. It is kind of a rest stop, but no bathrooms. The asphalt or parking is at the bluff edge and allows great seawatching next to your vehicle. I’m attaching a photo so you can see it from above.

The better seawatching is in the mornings between 7:00 and 9:00. But, that is when I’m using this location.

Good birding.




Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
Solvang CA





<IMG_0601.jpg>