Harbor area, East Beach, and Bird REfuge, July 29

Florence Sanchez

I checked out Ledbetter Beach and the Harbor breakwater and Sandspit first.  There were only a few large shorebirds (Curlews and Whimbrels) on Ledbetter Beach.  The back side of the breakwater had a few Black Turnstones and 2 Surfbirds in nice Breeding plumage.  The Sandspit didn't have many shorebirds.  Those present were a couple more Turnstones, 2 Black-bellied Plovers, 1 LB Curlew, 1 Willet, and 2 Whimbrels.  The Gull flock was about half and half Western and Heerman's Gulls, with a couple of California Gulls and 1 worn immature Glaucous winged Gull to complete the mix.  There also were about 50 Brown Pelicans on the beach.

At the Mission Creek outfall, I found more of the same species of gulls, plus 15 Long-billed Curlew, 6 Whimbrel, and 1 Marbled Godwit.  No small shorebirds around.  Further east just beyond the Laguna Creek outfall, I found more gulls and about 15 LB Curlews.  With them were also 2-3 Whimbrel and 2 Merbled Godwits.

I moved on to the Bird Refuge, where I failed to turn up the Neotropic Cormorant even after scrupulous scoping of every cormorant I could find.  There were 5 Northern Phalaropes swimming in the pond and a Spotted Sandpiper was briefly on the bank below the parking area.  Black-necked Stilts and Black Skimmers continue near the third viewing platform.

The phalaropes I saw at the Bird Refuge were Red-necked Phalaropes.  Senile regression to their earlier name.Emoji

Florence Sanchez

On Thursday, July 29, 2021, 12:45:17 PM PDT, Dika Golovatchoff <digolov@...> wrote:

Hi Florence did you mean red-necked phalarope rather than Northern phalarope. I've seen both Wilson's and red-necked at the bird refuge or the outflow into the East Beach area.
Dika