Topics

Alisal Road, April 27

Florence Sanchez

This morning I walked Alisal Road from Nojoqui County Park to the spot where the road washed out a couple of years ago.  I missed Rebecca!  (I started at 7:15 a.m. and finished around 10, and I didn't bird the Park itself.). It is a great walk this time of year and car traffic was very light.

Some highlights for me:
2 Anna's and 1 male Black-chinned Hummingbird
At least 7 Ash-throated Flycatchers, plus lots of Pacific Slope Flycatchers that I did not try to count
Numerous singing Yellow Waarblers (did not try to count them) along the entire route
1 singing Wilson's Warbler at road marker 37
At least 11 Bullock's Orioles and 1 Hooded Oriole
1 calling Western Tanager
1 Lark Sparrow
A pair of Lawrence's Goldfinches near road marker 37; seen again on my return trip a little further up the road
At least 5 Black-headed Grosbeaks, some presenting gorgeous views.

As Rebecca mentioned, Purple Martins were putting on a good show, not just at the park entrance but continuing up the road almost the whole distance.  In addition, I saw more Violet-Green Swallows on the route than I can recall ever having before.  And of course, lots of wrens (Bewick's and House), Titmice, Acorn Woodpeckers, and other Oak Woodland species.

A surprise was finding only 2 Western Kingbirds this morning.  Also, no Phainopeplas in their normal spot near the turn-around point.

Flowers along the road are disappointing this year.  I had only 1 Fairy Lantern and a little white lupine in a sunny spot, but there was a fair amount of Chinese Houses in shady areas.  (There is a nice patch of the Lupine near the Highway 1 turn off going north on 101.)

Florence Sanchez