Topics

American Redstart location on Atascadero Creek

Ron Hirst

On Christmas Count I saw an adult male American Redstart near lower Atascadero Creek, and location was asked about during the compilation. It was in the semi-private forest on the ocean side of lower Atascadero Creek. In late Nov/early Dec. probably the same bird was seen along the creek.  If you want to look for it I suggest walking from Ward Dr. along the bike path up creek to Patterson Ave., checking the willows/oaks and finding the small mixed flocks that sometimes appear. Who knows, you might see the Solitary Sandpiper that disappeared from in the creek a few days before Christmas Count, and Chestnut-backed Chickadee is a good bet.   Ron Hirst, SB