Topics

Any Black Swifts in Santa Barbara County recently?

John Callender

I note from previous years that this would be a time when we might see migrating Black Swifts moving through on their northward migration, but I don't see any reports in eBird of the species over the past 30 days in southern California. There were, however, three different eBird reports from central California last week (one from the Bay Area, two from near Sacramento).

I'm curious if anyone has tried looking for them recently in Santa Barbara county. I plan to do some looking from the Hunt Dr. location later this week, and would be very interested in hearing from anyone who is also making an effort. Thanks!

John Callender
Carpinteria

Guy Tingos

I live near the bottom of San Marcos Road and regularly look for Black Swifts this time of year as I have seen them from our yard in past years.  I haven’t seen any so far this year.  I believe now through the end of the month tends to be the peak of their movement through here.

Guy Tingos
Santa Barbara

--
Guy Tingos