Topics

Area K and Devereux

Nick Lethaby

There were 32 WF Ibis at Area K along with 10 Lesser Yellowlegs and 6 SB Dowitcher. A new family of BW Teal had 3 tiny doomed ducklings.

Devereux was very foggy but had all the continuing recent shorebird species including at least a few SB Dowitcher.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Florence Sanchez

I birded both locations this morning.  Did not find Teal or Ibis at Area K this morning but had a nice assortment of shorebirds:
both Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Long-billed and Short-billed Dowitchers, Western and Least Sandpipers, Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes.

At Devereux, conditions were great for birding.  There must have been at least 75 Semi-palmated Plovers south of the first pull-out along with a few Kildeer.  There were both Long-billed and Short-billed Dowitchers present (calls of LB, golden pattern on tertials of juvenile SB), some hanging out in a small ditch right next to the road.  I had only a couple each of Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs.  There were about a dozen Red-necked phalaropes swimming near the far side of the estuary.  An American Avocet was feeding well out, indicating how shallow the water is even in the middle of the estuary.  A lot of the Egrets flew to the roost while I was there--I counted 27 in all, along with 8 Great Egrets and 6 Great Blue Heron.  I also had 2 Black-crowned Night Herons in different places, but no Yellow-crowned and no Neotropic Cormorant.

A really good way to view the Devereux birds is to park up at the half bridge and walk back along the road, stopping at several points where there is wide enough shoulder to set up a scope safely.  Eventually, you will reach a solid paved spot over the top of a drainage pipe and that is a prime spot right now.  As the water recedes, the birds will move farther out but right now it's good.

Florence Sanchez