Topics

Around Goleta Thursday afternoon

Robert Lindsay

Began at the Coronado seep hoping it would be a draw for birds in this hot weather. As it turns out there is lots of standing water throughout the stream area so no luck there. Best bird at the seep was a single Pac-slope Flycatcher. The bottle brush at the car wash had several Hooded Oriole and some hummers (Allen's and Anna's). The field east of there had two Western Bluebird, a Cassin's Kingbird and Yellow-rumped and Orange-crowned Warbler. Otherwise, an unproductive visit.

Went to the pull-outs at Devereaux next. The only water is in the channel. The rest of the flat is bone dry. There were a few peeps at the top end (Sanderling and Least Sandpiper). At the bridge to no where there were only 4 ducks in the water but one was a Cinnamon Teal. There was a Canada Goose hunkered down in the grass on the island. There was one somewhat distant group of cormorants but as far as I could tell all were Double-crested. There were no birds down channel from the bridge.

Area K was the only good birding for me this day. It still has quite a bit of water and was rich in waterfowl. Gadwall were the most abundant, then Northern Shoveler, but there were also a few Wigeon and several Green-winged Teal. A single Eared Grebe was seen. Several Black-necked Stilt and Snowy Egrets were on the shores. The best birds, however, were at least 14 White-faced Ibis clustered on the far shore.

That's All,
Rob Lindsay

Nick Lethaby

The hot weather  should hopefully really drop the water level at Area K while we are still in the migration season. Probably not soon enough, but there is hope.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200