Topics

Baltimore Oriole

Hugh Ranson

As I biked home from work today an oriole chattered from a euc as I rode past. Luckily I had my dragonflying binocs with me and got to see the bird, and it was an apparent Baltimore Oriole. It had a mottled brown head, no black chin, and fairly rich orange underparts. The orange was brightest on the breast. This was at Modoc and Via Zorro. I had checked out this area before count day, and there was no evidence of orioles (or anything else interesting).

This morning the Tennessee Warbler continued to chip away in its favorite tree.

Hugh Ranson
Santa Barbara

Alexandra Loos

Two Oriole species stopped by my yard today, first time this year. Bad pix taken through my home office window in the Hope Ranch Annex close to the Modoc Preserve Hotspot...near Hugh Ranson's sighting on Wednesday.

11:44 am - briefly landed on the fig tree.

1:08 pm - had a drink at one of the hummingbird feeders.

From: main@sbcobirding.groups.io <main@sbcobirding.groups.io> on behalf of Hugh Ranson <zonetail@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 2:52 PM
To: sbcobirding <sbcobirding@groups.io>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Baltimore Oriole

As I biked home from work today an oriole chattered from a euc as I rode past. Luckily I had my dragonflying binocs with me and got to see the bird, and it was an apparent Baltimore Oriole. It had a mottled brown head, no black chin, and fairly rich orange underparts. The orange was brightest on the breast. This was at Modoc and Via Zorro. I had checked out this area before count day, and there was no evidence of orioles (or anything else interesting).

This morning the Tennessee Warbler continued to chip away in its favorite tree.

Hugh Ranson
Santa Barbara