Topics

Baltimore Oriole at Santa Monica Creek in Carpinteria

John Callender

This morning I visited the area of the cape honeysuckle hedge along the Santa Monica Creek bike path in Carpinteria, just south of El Carro Lane. I was hoping to see the adult male Orchard Oriole that has been there the past few years. I haven't seen any reports of the bird from there since Dave Compton's report on November 14, 2020, and in the past month the cape honeysuckle was extensively trimmed, possibly reducing its attractiveness as habitat.

I saw no sign of the Orchard Oriole, but that was made up for by an adult male Baltimore Oriole foraging in the large sycamore tree just south of El Carro Lane. There was also a bird that I'm thinking was probably an immature and/or female Bullock's Oriole. Poor photos of both birds are in the eBird list below.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S79080649

John Callender
Carpinteria

Eric Culbertson

What must be the same male Baltimore Oriole was tonight at Heath Ranch Park a short distance from Santa Monica Creek. I found the oriole while scoping the enormous, white-blooming eucalyptus in the center of the park trying to locate a perched Osprey. About 5:10pm the oriole, having perched in the same spot for ten minutes dropped into the western most eucalyptus tree here, looking a lot like it was going to roost for the evening. The Osprey, which seemed to be trying to decide whether to roost in the park (it frequently soared between periods of perching) may have flown off at around this same time.

Eric Culbertson
Carpinteria