Topics

Bates Road grape vines and Egret assembly at Bird Refuge

Florence Sanchez

I checked Bates Road very early this morning and found the grape vines along the fence are still pulling in the birds as Joan Lentz reported Yesterday.  In 15 minutes of watching, I had 2 Bullock's Orioles, 1 Hooded Oriole, 1 Western Tanager, and 2 Purple Finches in the vines--more birds I could not see well enough to identify.  The resident Mockingbird was trying to chase everyone away and having no success.  by the way, this spot was 5 degrees cooler than Carp and 10 degrees cooler than Santa Barbara, so if you want to bird in a cool spot over the next couple of days, this might be it.

I made another brief stop at the Bird Refuge.  There was an invasion of Egrets there this morning and I couldn't figure a reason for it.  I had at least 78 Egrets, about equally split between Snowy and Great.  Most of the activity seemed to be along the Cabrillo Boulevard side of the Refuge, close into the reeds, but there were smaller numbers elsewhere and at least 15 birds on the two islands.  Could not figure out a reason for the gathering.

Florence Sanchez