Topics

Beach walk at COPR & Sands beach

Florence Sanchez

This morning I took advantage of a minus low tide and very pleasant temperatures to walk the entire length of the beach from Coal Oil Point to Ellwood, rounding the point to the west where I had a clear view of the cormorant nesting platforms before turning back.  Human activity was low.

I found a mix of shorebirds, but not in any great number (with the exception of Snowy Plovers, of course).   I had 7 Semi-Palmated Plovers, a few Kildeer (most inside the enclosed area), 1 Willet, 2 Marbled Godwits, about 6 Long-billed Curlew, and 8 Whimbrel.  Based on earlier reports, I think these are all birds that over-summered.  Also present were a few Western Gulls and one Heerman's Gull.  I had flybys of both Brandt's and Double-crested Cormorants, Brown Pelicans, and 1 Caspian Tern.  Feeding at the surf's edge were a couple of Great Blue Herons and a Great Egret.  A good number of Barn Swallows were foraging near Coal Oil Point, while up at the Ellwood end of my walk, I came across a lot of Cliff Swallows with a couple of rough-wings in the mix.  There is an apparent Cliff Swallow colony in the rocky bluffs at that end.

Florence Sanchez