Topics

Bird Refuge puzzler

Bradley Hacker

One of my camera bodies is misbehaving and I have been trying to diagnose the problem before sending it back to Canon, so today I went down to the SW corner of the AC Birdless Refuge to shoot the Canary reported by Mark H and others in recent days. No problem finding a pale yellow bird. But, the bird I found is not a canary, but a leucistic warbler, I think.
* Is it a leucistic warbler?
* Nashville??
* Is this the same bird as the Canary?
(warning: pictures are bad)

(This bird was originally mistakenly reported by me from an incorrect location; please disregard.)

Bradley R. Hacker             Professor of Geology
Dept of Earth Science and Earth Research Institute
University of California, Santa Barbara CA 93106-9630

--
Good birding,

Bradley Hacker
Goleta CA
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradley_hacker/albums

Glenn Kincaid

I agree leucistic warbler, possibly yellowthroat?

On Nov 3, 2019, at 12:20 PM, Bradley Hacker <hacker@...> wrote:

[...]

Santa Barbara

Rebecca Coulter

It really says Common Yellowthroat to me, too, but what about that bright yellow tail? Could it be a hybrid, leucistic or not? And if so, of the wood warblers, couldn't only Yellow Warbler contribute the yellow tail? Fascinating.

Rebecca Coulter
SB

On Nov 3, 2019, at 11:25 AM, Glenn Kincaid <glenn@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Holmgren

Nice photos, Brad.  By graduated tail, face pattern, and bill shape this looks like a Common Yellowthroat that has lost its dark feather color expression. My fleeting glance of this bird on Friday led me to canary only because of this odd color.

Mark Holmgren
San Marcos Pass