Topics

Birding coverage

Joan E. Lentz <jelentz@...>

Hi all! Both Karen & I feel it would be helpful, & I hope Jamie Chavez
agrees, that people would post brief accounts of their birding & the
locations thereof so we could have an idea of how much coverage our county
is getting! If we only report "rare" birds, we have the feeling that
silence means nobody is birding. Is this true? I think not. So . . .
from time to time let's try to keep each other informed about just how much
& where we are birding, so that we know indeed our wonderful county is
being covered! Thanks! Joan Lentz
(PS The Scarlet Tanager, a nemesis bird for me for over 10 yrs., was my
408th in S.B. co. My county list is my most treasured, & I think if we
live long enough we can see an amazing no. of birds right here w/out going
anywhere. Well, not quite . . .)

Mark Holmgren <holmgren@...>

Congrats!  408.  Wow!
Mark

Hi all!  Both Karen & I feel it would be helpful, & I hope Jamie Chavez
agrees, that people would post brief accounts of their birding & the
locations thereof so we could have an idea of how much coverage our county
is getting!  If we only report "rare" birds, we have the feeling that
silence means nobody is birding.  Is this true?  I think not.  So . . .
from time to time let's try to keep each other informed about just how much
& where we are birding, so that we know indeed our wonderful county is
being covered!  Thanks!  Joan Lentz
  (PS The Scarlet Tanager, a nemesis bird for me for over 10 yrs., was my
408th in S.B. co.  My county list is my most treasured, & I think if we
live long enough we can see an amazing no. of birds right here w/out going
anywhere.  Well, not quite . . .)

Looking for that one of a kind collectible or unique home decoration?
eBay has thousands of kitchenware, lamps, and collectibles up for bid.
You never know what you might find at eBay!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1141

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/sbcobirding

jcwings@pronet.net <jcwings@...>

Hello fellow birders,

I would like to echo Joan's sentiments on county birding coverage and hopefully
how members of this group can add much more to our knowledge about the birds of
Santa Barbara County. This list group was not intended to replace the call-in
RBA, but was set up to provide a forum for discussing birding issues and
interesting observations on a continual basis. Although it serves well as an
RBA providing instantaneous information, it should go beyond the "hot spots"
and rarities.

Recent comments by Paul Lehman and Jim Greaves on the changes in fall birding
in Santa Barbara County are a great example of what can be shared here. I also
enjoy reading about the rarities being reported here but this can be more than
that. So please, as Joan has indicated, do post your sightings from a field
trip or individual outing on occasion so we can all get a sense of what is out
there, no matter how ordinary it may seem. Feel free to share your discovery of
a potentially new good birding spot somewhere in the county or update us on the
growing park list you're maintaining, etc. This is yours to use...

Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria
jcwings@...