Topics

Birding today at end of Coronado, etc.

Joan Lentz <joanlentz@...>

Hi All:
Today Libby Patten, Cathy Peterson, and I started out by checking some areas where we knew there would be “lerped” eucalyptus — getting ready for fall landbird migration.  Our first stop was Winchester One Open Space, where we found only common birds and the trees were infested with lerps.  Hard to tell if there’d be any leaves left by early fall.  Then we crossed over the freeway & went to the Newport Dr. bridge area.  From here, you can park & walk north where the trail has been cleared out considerably, then crosses over Santa Barbara Shores Dr., and another pocket park is just to the west.  A rough trail continues on through the residential area and eventually ends up at Hollister Avenue.  Lots of trees were pruned in here, & the whole place has been opened up; good potential for fall.
Lastly, we stopped at the Coronado seep between 11:15 am - 12:15 pm:  place was jumping with birds, including possible early migrants (adult male Western Tanager) & a ton of other birds.  The water in the “seep” area is plentiful, and the branches growing over it make the birds a little difficult to see, but it is super fun to just stand there & watch all of them come in.  Lots of Chestnut-backed Chickadees (including at least one juvenile, if not two).
Lists on eBird below:
Getting ready for fall!

Joan Lentz

Joan Lentz