Topics

birds at Bates bridge feeding on grapes!

Joan Lentz (cox.net address)

Hi All:
Today Marilyn Harding and I were looking for cool places to bird.  We stopped at Carp Creek first and did a count from the Eighth Street bridge.  Birds not as numerous there today as Sept. 3, when we had an immature YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT.  It was on the north side of the bridge sulking around, hard to see.  Not today.
Then to Bates Road bridge over Rincon Crk, where we parked on the south side of the bridge.  We noticed lots of birds flying from the wooded hillside down to the grapevine that grew along a fence on the north side of the road (technically Ventura County?).
The vine was full of large bunches of ripe grapes, and we had a gang of orioles, plus some other birds, joining in the feast.
A group of THREE BULLOCK’S ORIOLES, and others, were extremely active here.  I’d never noticed this before!  The creekbed is dry, no birds there.  But this is a Fall phenomenon from that location.
Oh, and by the way, my book is now at Chaucer’s and Tecolote bookstores locally…!
Good birding!
Joan Lentz

                   https://ebird.org/bcn/checklist/S73176386