Topics

Birds on Laguna Blanca

Meg White

I drive past Laguna Blanca in Hope Ranch every day and have observed the water level getting lower and lower & the bird numbers going up. The center of the lake is now dry. Today I brought my scope down to take a look and there was quite a nice variety. There was a curious lone male Wigeon species preening on the far side of the lake near the “island”. It had a very pale bald pate barely showing. There was no evidence of green on its face that I could see. The bird was mostly grey on top of its body and rufous on the sides, with a white belly. Perhaps it was just in eclipse plumage.

Wigeon sp?, Mute swan, Killdeer, Semipalmated Plover, Coot, Yellowlegs, Dowitcher, Western? Sandpipers, Black-necked Stilt, American Pipit, many Pied-billed Grebes, many Snowy Egrets, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron, immature Black-crowned Night Heron, Mallards, Gulls, Black Phoebe, Red-shouldered Hawk, and dragonflies.

Its definitely worth a look.

Meg White

Hope Ranch