Topics

Birds this morning at East Beach

Dika Golovatchoff

I was down at the end of Garden Street from about 10 until 11:30 this morning. I was fascinated by the black bellied plovers still showing their black bellies. Then a bird showed up that I had never seen before and I'm assuming that it is a Ruddy Turnstone. I took loads of photos including some video which I will post later.

At least five snowy egrets, many barn swallows, several Brown Pelicans flew in and the large flocks of elegant turns grouped in clusters of several hundred each. There were only half a dozen black skimmers. Also the usual great blue heron was not present this morning.

The photo below was transferred from my camera to my smartphone.

Dika Golovatchoff

I promised a post of some of this morning's birds at East Beach, including the sole Ruddy Turnstone in breeding plumage.  It was mostly foraging in bits of kelp and not near the water.  It's always fun to find a new species just by chance like this.

There are usually more Black Skimmers and also more godwits, willets, whimbrels, and curlews than I saw this morning -while there were far more black bellied plovers than I had noticed on other mornings.

The Elegant Terns were in huge flocks but also in smaller groups.  I have noticed that they usually start flying in from the south east around 9:30.  One bird was all by itself and did not mind my coming in close and watching for what seemed like a very long time.

Dika Golovatchoff, Santa Barbara