Topics

Black Swift, Farren Road

Thomas Turner

I was leading a group of UCSB honors students on a birding trip to Farren Road this morning when we had a nice surprise: awesome looks at a Black Swift. It was foraging at low altitude with some White-throated Swifts and Cliff Swallows. It was only about 50 feet off the ground, and made foraging passes for close to a minute before disappearing. This was just South of the first hillside pullout. Made my day!

Pictures and description: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45489637

We also had Lazuli Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks (all South of the first hillside pullout), Phainopepla (near the reservoir), and a displaying male Costa’s (near the reservoir). Not very birdy this morning, though we probably missed a lot by being in a big group; anyway, you don’t need large numbers to have a good day with these species around.

-Tom

Goleta