Topics

Black-throated Gray Warbler @ Coronado Seep

Adrian O'Loghlen

Ken Pearlman and I saw a Black-throated Gray Warbler bathing at the Coronado 'seep' this morning.  Other species seen included Yellow and Orange-crowned Warblers, and Chestnut-backed Chickadee.

https://flic.kr/p/2gSYZMi

Adrian O'Loghlen
Goleta

Florence Sanchez

I too saw the Black-throated Gray Warbler at the end of Coronado Drive this morning.  I walked down to the creek area from Newport Drive starting around 8 a.m. this morning, when it was very quiet.  It was also foggy and overcast.  After finding only a few birds, I headed up to the bluffs and walked the trails for awhile.  I was particularly interested in seeing what the fennel situation is.  There are some patches of fennel on the bluffs, the largest clumps near the western end.  At this point, it's hard to tell if they will be productive for migrants in the week ahead.  The fog gradually burned off and I returned to the Eucalypus, where I ran into Adrian and Ken.  Adrian mentioned he'd had C-B chickadees and a couple of Orange-crowned Warblers at the puddle, so I went back for another check and found the Black-throated Gray, as well as two Pacific Slope Flycatchers that had not been there earlier.  This area tends to be best when the sun is out and also at mid-morning.

The puddle at the end of Coronado Drive is the only water around--the rest of the creek is dry.

Florence Sanchez