Topics

Buena Vista Trail, redux

Florence Sanchez

I returned to the Buena Vista Trail this morning with the right map and thus was able to hike the Romero Canyon cutoff.  The cutoff is  a series of switchbacks up the steep side of the hill, but going up actually wasn't too bad.  I found the first clump of Wind Poppies (Fire poppies) a little before reaching the cutoff trail and more all the way up.  I walked on the steep Edison Road for a few hundred yards until I reached the side path that used to go to a bench,  The bench was apparently a casualty of the Thomas fire, but the view from there was great.  The tiring part was coming down the hill as sometimes the road and trail were steep and gravelly so that I had to more or less brace myself continually to keep from slipping.  Keep that in mind if you decide to go--the trail is rated moderate to difficult deservedly.  Also, the trail part is narrow and lined with stickery annual grasses that will be ripening very soon.

Bird activity was very different today, perhaps because it was windier.  I missed several of the species I found here yesterday (Rufous Hummingbird, Yellow Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Wilson's Warbler).  One bird present at the trail head parking both days was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  Before yesterday, I had not seen or heard one in any of its usual haunts and I assumed they must all have migrated.

Florence Sanchez