Topics

Burrowing Owl @ NCOS

Adrian O'Loghlen

There was a Burrowing Owl at North Campus Open Space this am (Wed).  It was flushed from one of the hibernacula on the north-facing slope on south side (restricted access area) of the slough by Hayden, one of the NCOS crew working in the area, and landed nearby at another hibernaculum.  This location is approximately 100 m west of the hibernaculum where one of the BUOW wintered last year.  I will try to find and report a location on the main north trail from which the hibernaculum that the current owl seems to be using can be seen.

https://flic.kr/p/2hw3iZi

Adrian O'Loghlen
Goleta

Adrian O'Loghlen

Ken Pearlman and I checked out possible viewing spots along the northern trail for the NCOS Burrowing Owl yesterday (Wed) afternoon.  The owl was at the same location as in the am.   Best spot to view it was at the west end of Phelps Bridge (most westerly bridge).  Look towards the ridge-line to the south and pan to the west until you see a large pile of concrete blocks (top left hand corner in the photo).  Below this is another smaller pile of blocks – the owl is circled in the photo.  Best to use a scope.  Ken confirmed that the owl was at the same location as shown in the photo this morning (Thurs).

Adrian O'Loghlen
Goleta

Adrian O'Loghlen

I re-found the NCOS Owl this am (Sun) after a number of people reported not being able to locate it.  It was at a different location than previously reported at a site about 100 m east of the original location and down at the base of the slope (see photo).  It was difficult to spot and I wasn't certain this was the bird until I saw it move. Again the best spot to see it is from the west side of Phelps Bridge looking almost directly south.  The photo shows some landmarks you can use to help find it - provided it hasn't move to yet another hibernaculum!

Adrian O'Loghlen
Goleta