Topics

BWTE at Mud Lake in Orcutt and WIPH at Long Canyon Road

John Deacon

All:

I birded Mud Lake and Long Canyon Road yesterday.    Best bird was a BWTE at Mud Lake.  Since unusual this time of year and a first for this location, I ran pic by Jamie and he concurred.  Checklist is here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59313069

Next I went to Long Canyon Road.  The pond at the terminus of the road had Wilson's Phalaropes and Greater Yellowlegs.  This little pond continues to surprise.  Last time I was there, a Belted Kingfisher made a brief appearance.  This pond is likely the best source of fresh water in that area.  Quietly watching the pond for 15 minutes or so yielded deer and Wild Turkey's coming down to drink along with 15 or so other avian species.

Checklist is here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59299304

John Deacon
Orcutt