Topics

Carpinteria Birding

Florence Sanchez

After a very early trip to the market, I went down for a brief look at spots in Carp before going home.  I had the odd experience of watching my car thermometer go from 72 in Santa Barbara to 81 just past Summerland and then rapidly drop to 70 when I reached the Carpinteria Avenue Turnoff!

My first stop was a short visit to Santa Monica Creek.  There still is a lot of activity on the part of Western Tanagers and Orioles, though not nearly as heavy as it was last Saturday.  My guess is that I saw at least a dozen Tanagers and as many Bullock's Orioles. The Bullock's outnumbered Hooded orioles by at least 2 to 1.  Also present and singing were at least 3 Black-headed Grosbeaks.  I got a quick glimpse at what was probably the hybrid Oriole that has been discussed on these posts before.  Three Orioles flew into a palm tree in someone's back yard west of the creek and I saw that one of them had a solid black head on a mostly yellow-orange body before it flew away.

The Orchard Oriole made an appearance as I started to leave.  It flew into a blooming eucalyptus on the creek side of the path, the one with a small bottlebrush bush next to it. It sat on an exposed branch and sang, still singing as I walked past and left.

My final stop was Bates Road.  It was lovely there this morning and I wish I could have stayed longer but I had groceries to get home.  A Western Wood-Pewee was calling almost constantly, first from upstream of the bridge and then downstream. A Yellow Warbler was also singing a lot and I heard both Wilson's and Orange-crowned Warblers as well.   Bullock's Orioles, a Hooded Oriole, and a Black-headed Grosbeak were also evident.  The only hummers were Anna's.

Florence Sanchez