Topics

Carpinteria Rusty Blackbird reports

Dave Compton

A Rusty Blackbird is being reported in Carpinteria today. It was first included in an eBird checklist for the Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, but the notes say the bird was actually at Carpinteria State Beach at the end of Linden.

So someone needs an eBird lesson there.

John Callendar subsequently refound the bird at the same location, with Brewer's Blackbirds, and watched it fly each to toward Carpinteria Creek lagoon. Note that Brewer's Blackbirds often hang out in the campground in this area.

I have not seen photos of the bird, so don't know if it's supposed to be a male or female.

John Callender

Photos of the Rusty Blackbird are in my eBird list here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61205114

I'm not sure about the bird's sex, but would welcome input from people who are more familiar with the species.

The list also includes more photos of the continuing Laughing Gull that was on the beach with a large group of gulls a short distance west of Linden Avenue.

John Callender
Carpinteria

John Callender

Oops. That link was to the original eBird list by Ryan O'Donnell. My eBird list is here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61212449

John Callender
Carpinteria

Dave Compton

Hi again everyone,

I should acknowledge that my implied criticism of Ryan for his list was not particularly fair, and he even describes his route pretty well and acknowledges that he later realized there was a separate hotspot. So, apologies to Ryan, and a big thanks to him for finding a really good bird while he was in town. Ryan's list also described exactly where he found the blackbird, by the way.

My intended point, by the way, was that people should be mindful about including birds on an eBird checklist that are well outside the area the hotspot was intended to represent. An out-of-town birder, of course, will not necessarily have an easy time figuring out what area a hotspot is supposed to cover.

Dave Compton

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 3:08 PM Dave Compton via Groups.Io <davcompton60=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
A Rusty Blackbird is being reported in Carpinteria today. It was first included in an eBird checklist for the Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, but the notes say the bird was actually at Carpinteria State Beach at the end of Linden.

So someone needs an eBird lesson there.

John Callendar subsequently refound the bird at the same location, with Brewer's Blackbirds, and watched it fly each to toward Carpinteria Creek lagoon. Note that Brewer's Blackbirds often hang out in the campground in this area.

I have not seen photos of the bird, so don't know if it's supposed to be a male or female.

John Callender

Tom Beland and Laurel Luby got great photos of the bird:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61214957

John Callender
Carpinteria