Topics

Carpinteria State Beach/Campground vagrants this morning

John Callender

The continuing Rusty Blackbird was bathing on a log in the Carpinteria Creek lagoon at 7:45 this morning (Thursday). It later flew into some myoporum in the campground just west of the lagoon.

I checked the gull flock on the beach just west of Linden avenue around the same time, but did not find the Laughing Gull previously seen there.

John Callender
Carpinteria

John Callender

After looking at the photos I took this morning I'm no longer sure they show the Rusty Blackbird. The bird from this morning appears to have less brown than the bird photographed previously; I also think it might have a thicker beak and a more even-length tail. (The Rusty Blackbird had noticeably shorter outer tail feathers, which I don't see in the photos of this morning's bird.) On the other hand, the photos from this morning are more distant and in poorer light, so maybe that accounts for the different appearance?

Photos are in this eBird list:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61252062

On balance I think there's a decent chance the bird I saw this morning was a different individual, maybe an odd-looking Brewer's Blackbird. I'd be interested in feedback on that question if people are willing to share their opinions. Thanks!

John Callender
Carpinteria