Topics

Continuing Neotropic, and poss. Semi-P

Hugh Ranson

The Neotropic Cormorant continues at the Bird Refuge. It was quite distant, and I've only just been able to look at my photos and confirm the identity. It was at the west end of the refuge, resting on shore with other cormorants. It was on a promontory on zoo property, best seen from just east of the bridge/ 3rd platform. It would have not been visible from Cabrillo despite being quite close.

There were quite a few peeps at the western end. Most were Least on the mud, along with a few Western feeding in the water. Mixed in with the Least was what appears to be a Semi-palmated Sandpiper. It's longer billed than the recent NCOS bird. Nick L. has looked at my photo on his phone and his initial reaction is that it's a Western. Glenn K. was heading out there as I was leaving, so perhaps he'll have more to say.

Hugh Ranson
Santa Barbara

Glenn Kincaid

Make that 2 Neotropic Cormorants.

Just after Hugh left, one of the cormorants that had been sleeping on the west edge of the island closest to the parking area awoke, revealing itself.  I got some rather poor photos.  The bird that Hugh describes was also present when I arrived at the W end of the path.

I could not convince myself that any of the peeps had short enough bills to be a Semipalmated Sandpiper.  I will be reviewing photos.