Topics

Curlew Sandpiper

Liam & Kilian Hampl

At about 10:30, we went to to beach down from parking lot 6 where we met other birders who had seen Curlew Sandpiper about 20 minutes prior but hadn’t refound it. We walked back up to road and went to the bluffs at Goleta beach along ending of fence and refound it. We went back to tell the other birders on the beach, and didn’t see it for about 30 minutes. Then in a flock of sanderlings it flew around the point again towards the bluffs, where then it was spotted again by multiple birders. Is continuing at this location.

Kilian and Liam Hampl
Arroyo Grande

Jim Moore

Found again by Tom Benson and Brittany O’Conner.  Seen ¼ mile east or the stairs at Parking lot 6 around 16:00 associating with a flock of Sanderlings.  The whole group was flushed out to sea by a Peregrine Falcon and I don’t know where they will return to shore.  But, considering the crowd at the beach, I’d expect near the same location where the beach is covered with wrack.

Jim Moore

Agua Dulce and Carpinteria.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Wes Fritz

SB Birders,

The Curlew Sandpiper is still
present on the beach between the stairs @ parking lot #6 and the large rock at the west end of Goleta Beach parking lot.
The CUSA seemed to be favoring the far eastern side of this stretch of beach. Only a couple of birders have came and gone.

Good birding,

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...
Solvang CA

Wes Fritz

Hi All,

I could easily see the CUSA with my binoculars from the fence at the west end of the Goleta Beach parking area. The CUSA has been present in this general area since 8:am until 11:30am.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...
Solvang CA

On Sep 21, 2020, at 11:13 AM, Wesley Fritz <wes-fritz@...> wrote:

SB Birders,

The Curlew Sandpiper is still
present on the beach between the stairs @ parking lot #6 and the large rock at the west end of Goleta Beach parking lot.
The CUSA seemed to be favoring the far eastern side of this stretch of beach. Only a couple of birders have came and gone.

Good birding,

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...
Solvang CA

Guy Tingos

Betsy and I had brief looks at the Curlew Sandpiper this afternoon around 4:45. The bird was about 260 yards NE (towards Goleta Beach Park) from the bottom of the stairs that go down to the beach from Lot 6 at UCSB. It was in heavy kelp on the beach. It eventually flew SW with the Sanderling flock towards Campus Point and out of sight.

Guy Tingos

Guy Tingos

As reported earlier, the Curlew Sandpiper was present again this morning on the UCSB East-facing beach, hanging out with a group of Sanderlings.  This flock moves around a lot on the beach, from over 200 yards north toward the black rocks that block off access to Goleta Beach except at very low tide, to down near the steps.  I had it about halfway between these points.  This area has plenty of kelp wrack on the beach and the whole place is a haven for shorebirds.  Incoming tide can block access to the most northerly portion of the beach.

A couple fo groups were watching for the Sandpiper from the bluffs and at the top of the stairs.  I heard they were able to see it successfully through their scopes.  I was pleased to see the prominent white rump in flight at last.

I'm glad so many birders from all over have been able to see this fairly cooperative rarity.  I hope the lady who came down from Ft. Bragg was able to get it.

Florence Sanchez