Topics

Curlew Sandpiper at 10:30am

Mark Holmgren

Peter Schneekloth re found the Curlew Sandpiper at 10:30 almost at the west end of Goleta Beach in the kelp. Far N end of Goleta Bay, west beach.
We are viewing from: 34.41481 -119.83794
Mark

Wim van Dam

In case people are getting confused:
UCSB east beach == Goleta Bay west Beach.

I changed the eBird Hotspot name to reflect this.

Wim

--
Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
SBCO #386: American Bittern

Ron Hirst

Bird near UCSB Parking lot steps at 1:20. Many observers. Ron Hirst, SB

Dave Compton

In case anyone is heading out to look for this bird at the end of the day, I wanted to provide an update. No one has reported it in the original area for several hours, as of now (5:40pm). Rumor was that it flew west (up the coast), and we now have a tentative (90% sure) report that it was at the mouth of Devereux Slough, in the Coal Oil Point area. So, stay tuned. If it can be confirmed from that area, someone will post directions before anyone drives to Goleta tomorrow to look for the bird.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 1:26 PM Ron Hirst <ronhirst@...> wrote:
Bird near UCSB Parking lot steps at 1:20. Many observers. Ron Hirst, SB

Wes Fritz

Hi All,
Dave is correct, the Curlew Sandpiper flew west or north it all depends on how you look at it, but is was definitely headed towards Devereux Slough. The Sandpiper was last seen about 2:45pm flying past the staircase.
  While we were with the bird more people started to show up to walk on the beach. There was even a person riding a quad or 4-wheeler on the beach below the Campus Bluff Trail. I believe they were surveying some beach stuff. While the Sandpiper was MIA I walked the Beach from Goleta Slough to nearly More Mesa and saw 2 more men dressed in the same clothing as the guy riding the quad. He stoped and asked us if we were looking at a bird and we said, yes. He said he would do the last portion of “Goleta East Beach” later.

Nice find Florence!

Good birding,

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685