Topics

Curlew Sandpiper Thursday evening: possibly refound at new location

Thomas Turner

I may have refound the Curlew Sandpiper at Devereux. Photos posted at the link below; I’m not great with sandpipers, so hopefully the experts can tell. The bird popped into some roosting Sanderling at the slough mouth and preened for a few moments, then flew. I immediately went to the camera, and it was preening the whole time, so I am not positive.

It appeared to be larger than the sanderling, with a long decurved bill. It didn’t appear to fly far, but could not be refound despite several people looking.

The bird was seen here: 34.410080, -119.880920
You can pay for hourly parking here: 34.410717, -119.876773

Tom Turner

Isla Vista

On Sep 17, 2020, at 5:42 PM, Dave Compton <davcompton60@...> wrote:

In case anyone is heading out to look for this bird at the end of the day, I wanted to provide an update. No one has reported it in the original area for several hours, as of now (5:40pm). Rumor was that it flew west (up the coast), and we now have a tentative (90% sure) report that it was at the mouth of Devereux Slough, in the Coal Oil Point area. So, stay tuned. If it can be confirmed from that area, someone will post directions before anyone drives to Goleta tomorrow to look for the bird.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 1:26 PM Ron Hirst <ronhirst@...> wrote:
Bird near UCSB Parking lot steps at 1:20. Many observers. Ron Hirst, SB

Nick Lethaby

Tom,

This does appear to be the Curlew Sandpiper. Well done.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Florence Sanchez

Dear Tom,

I agree with Nick--it has the same long decurved bill and slim, elegant look like the bird I saw yesterday.

Florence

On Thursday, September 17, 2020, 07:39:04 PM PDT, Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...> wrote:

[...]

Joan Lentz (cox.net address)

Congrats to all! Nice photo too!