Topics

Davy Brown Creek in Fir Canyon

Mark Holmgren

I hiked the marvelous and flowing Davy Brown Creek this morning.  I also cut my way through the two overgrown springs on the Willow Springs Trail.  Lots of Poison Oak on the Willow Springs Trail.  Highlights were a fledgling with an adult Mountain Chickadees at 3244 feet elevation, lower than we would expect to see them in summer. Also, Western Tanagers were found in 5 different areas (4 areas on Davy Brown Ck and at Willow Spring).  Also seen were Brown Creeper, lots of Steller's Jay's and several families, so many individuals of, Black-headed Grosbeak. Scarce or absent were Mountain Quail (1 pair and 1 heard), hummingbirds (1 heard), Bewick's Wrens, Black Phoebes, and Yellow Warblers.

Mark Holmgren
San Marcos Pass