Topics

Devereux and Goleta Beach

Florence Sanchez

Joan Lentz and I checked out Devereux this morning.  It remains pretty low on bird activity.  The only shorebirds we could turn up there were a very few Black-necked Stilts.  However, members of the Heron family seem to be enjoying the shallow water that remains.  Speaking of Egrets, we saw 6 in a large eucalyptus on the western side of the estuary--did we have confirmed nesting of this species there this year?  One Great Blue Heron on nest there.  Perhaps our most interesting sighting at Devereux was a family group of three White-breasted Nuthatches working the dead tree next to the parking area at the half bridge.  Not expected habitat for sure.

We checked Devereux and a portion of NCOS from the Venoco bridge but there was very little activity at that location too. We moved on to Goleta Beach and there things picked up.  On the mud patch in the middle of the estuary opposite the parking lot, we got some large shorebirds:  1 Willet, 2 Whimbrel, and 8 Long-billed Curlew.  In addition, we had a lot of Cormorants in the trees and a few egrets and Herons in the estuary.  We checked briefly for the continuing Yellow-crowned Night Heron in the roost at the entrance, but did not pull it up.  There was a night heron of some kind deep in the vegetation, but too obscured by branches to identify.

Florence Sanchez

(PS--A request from both of us:  Birders, please post your interesting finds to sbcobirding as well as to eBird.   Sometimes you find things we'd like to know about before the daily rarity report!  Thanks from Florence and Joan if you do this.)

Nick Lethaby

There were 3 Great Egret nests at Devereux this year.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA