Topics

Devereux, Area K yesterday

Joan Lentz <joanlentz@...>

Hi All:  Just to let you know that some of us are out birding, & there are lots of species to look at at both locations.  We ran into Libby Pattern, Guy Tingos, David Levasheff, and Jeff Hanson also out birding.
Yesterday, Florence Sanchez & I visited Area K first, then to Devereux.  To me, the latter is highly preferable for lighting, closeness of birds, and even numbers.  Area K does have variety, though, and more Lesser Yellowlegs.  Also, more interesting ducks.  Somebody had two Blue-winged Teal there, but I couldn’t find them.  Florence & I had a Cinnamon Teal, we thought, and a White-faced Ibis.
Devereux’s water levels are receding slowly, so the birds are getting a little farther away for viewing.  However, still very good habitat.  The avocet continues, masses of Black-bellied Plovers and Semipalmated Plovers, lots of Western Sandpipers, some Least Sandpipers, and only one each Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, some Red-necked Phalaropes.  NO Neotropic Cormorant or Yellow-crowned Night-Heron present.
Still, we should have a look at this place every day while the mudflats are still inviting to shorebirds!
I’m ready for fall!
Joan Lentz

Joan Lentz
Santa Barbara