Topics

Devereux Slough this evening-Canbasbacks and Eurasian Wigeon

Aaron Kreisberg

Two Canvasback continued with Redheads in the middle of Devereux Slough at 4:45 PM today. On the walk back along Slough Road a Eurasian Wigeon was present with American Wigeons in the Eastern part of the Slough close to the road. The cream streak seemed more mottled compared to when I've seen the bird at NCOS. Maybe the evening lighting?

Aaron Kreisberg
Goleta, CA

David Blue

As Aaron notes above, the Eurasian Wigeon that has been seen at UCSB North Campus Open Space (NCOS) since at least December 29, appears to be losing it's creme colored forehead. Here's a photo of it taken this morning:

This appears to almost be eclipse plumage, as shown on the right side of the Eurasian Wigeon eBird page:

Any thoughts on what's going on here?

David Blue
Goleta, CA