Topics

Devereux this morning

Dave Compton

I was one of a number of birders who had the idea to go to Devereux Slough in Goleta this morning. I spent a couple of hours here, probably longer than I would have had not others shown up off and on over this time. The NEOTROPIC CORMORANT was in view much of the time, either in the dead branches where it frequently perches, or in the channel to the south. It appears to me this bird is getting darker on the ventral side.

Shorebird numbers were disappointing, with only about 40 peeps (about 60% Western and 40% Least) and a few other common species. A LESSER YELLOWLEGS dropped in briefly, south of the northern turnout, and took off to the east somewhere. Several broods of Gadwall young were present, but only adult Mallards, as far as I could tell. Seems to be a theme in the area this year. Also of interest were two GREAT BLUE HERON NESTLINGS in a nest at the top of the more southerly nesting tree on the west side of the slough. I have not checked our data on this subject, but wouldn't be surprised if this is the latest date we have locally for nestlings.

There were 8 or 9 night-herons hanging around, by the way, but no Yellow-crowneds. I did not check NCOS to see if any were there.

Nick Lethaby

All,

This afternoon, there were two Lesser Yellowlegs on the slough (including one very close to the road) and about 80-90 peeps. Also 11 Wilson's Phalaropes. In general, Devereux gets many more birds in the afternoon.

This morning I checked the E end of El Capitan SB where there were 6 adult Wandering Tattlers and 7 Spotted Sandpipers

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 12:48 PM Dave Compton <davcompton60@...> wrote:
[...]

Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200
Work: 805 562 5106