Topics

Early Harrier

Hugh Ranson

This afternoon (8/8) a ringtail Northern Harrier was quartering over the southern portion of More Mesa.

I observed an interesting dragonfly along the western fenceline of the mesa. It was a male Red-tailed Pennant, a scarce ode in the county that I've only ever seen close to water before.

Larry Ballard recently noted a male Belted Kingfisher feeding on tree frog tadpoles in Cold Springs Canyon. On Thursday Mark Bright and I observed a male Belted Kingfisher at a seasonal pond at the top of the Trespass Trail above Gaviota. The only food source at the pond seemed to be tree frogs, and I presume their tadpoles.

Hugh Ranson
Santa Barbara