Topics

[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Indian Peafowl (2 reports)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (1 report)
- Baltimore Oriole (1 report)

Indian Peafowl (Pavo cristatus) (1)
- Reported Apr 12, 2019 08:46 by Mark Holmgren
- Franklin Trail, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4190644,-119.5117751&ll=34.4190644,-119.5117751
- Comments: "A ranch animal, not feral, very vocal."

Indian Peafowl (Pavo cristatus) (1)
- Reported Apr 12, 2019 08:46 by Lori Gaskin
- Franklin Trail, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4190644,-119.5117751&ll=34.4190644,-119.5117751
- Comments: "A ranch animal, not feral, very vocal."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Apr 12, 2019 15:27 by Conor Scotland
- Franklin Trail, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4140361,-119.5137639&ll=34.4140361,-119.5137639
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Notes from encounter:

Appearance: Gray-headed empid, overall more gray than I am used to seeing in PSFL. Very small bill. In the light, could not see primary projection well, though the bird looked short-tailed. No visible crest of any sort, offering a kind of rounded head appearance. Eyering somewhat even, lacking the rear almond extension of PSFL. The photos reveal a vested breast. I'm not sure what to make of the primary projection in the photos. It doesn't look overly long, but it also doesn't seem overly too short. I assume angle is playing a part.

Behavior: Observed for about 1 minute. The bird flew among branches in the understory of oak trees. When perched, the bird was rather statuesque for an empid, only moving its tail occasionally. In this regard, it gave a very different overall impression than PSFL and other empids.

Voice: Heard one call very faintly. Kind of a piik or peep note. It sounded somewhat similar to the calls of the LEFL that I observed last fall. I am not that confident in my interpretation of the call.

Seen in an oak around here: 34.42773,-119.50573"

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Apr 12, 2019 14:25 by Ryan Seppala
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "An adult male BAOR was found west of the Elwood Bluffs Trailhead, foraging high up in a eucalyptus. I took the main trailhead off of Coronado Dr. and turned right once I got into the eucalyptus grove, following a trail that moves north and away from the bluffs. At least a couple hundred feet down this way, and before you reach Newport Drive, there is a side trail that forks off to the left and goes up towards some houses. The bird was at this intersection. It was silent for the entire 10 to 15 minutes that I observed it, and stuck to the top of a single eucalyptus.

Estimated coordinates: (34.424930, -119.891383)"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Red Crossbill (1 report)
- Baltimore Oriole (1 report)

Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) (1)
- Reported Apr 13, 2019 07:24 by Joey Negreann
- US-CA-Channel Islands National Park (34.0026,-119.8179), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.002564,-119.817919&ll=34.002564,-119.817919
- Comments: "Flyover. IDed by chip notes. Otherwise red body and finch like flight. Recording to be uploaded "

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Apr 13, 2019 06:45 by Dan Fontaine
- Ellwood Mesa Open Space, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4216023,-119.8887134&ll=34.4216023,-119.8887134
- Comments: "Bright orange oriole with entirely black head and distinct white wing bar. Seen looking south into the tops of tall eucalyptus trees from the Coronado Butterfly Preserve, and looking west into the same trees from near the end of Coronado Drive. Was with Hooded Orioles and gave a harsher chatter and a lower pitched whistle than they (HOOR) did."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- African Collared-Dove (1 report)
- Black-chinned Sparrow (1 report)

African Collared-Dove (Streptopelia roseogrisea) (1)
- Reported Apr 14, 2019 18:12 by Joey Negreann
- Santa Cruz Island--main ranch, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.9961771,-119.7196054&ll=33.9961771,-119.7196054
- Comments: "Extremely light colored and contrasting greatly with EUCD it was flocked with. Primaries and covs white and not contrasting with rest of body or wing. Unfortunately the photos aren’t the best in showing light color seen in field. Spread wing and tail shot though blurry show lack of contrast throughout feather tracts and in tail. Photos to be posted. "

Black-chinned Sparrow (Spizella atrogularis) (1)
- Reported Apr 13, 2019 10:27 by James Bailey
- (34.0166,-119.8288), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.016577,-119.828834&ll=34.016577,-119.828834
- Comments: "During this stop I continually heard what sounded like the trill portion of a BCSP song off in the distance, repeated every 15 seconds or so. In more typical habitat I have found that the initial higher notes don’t carry as far as the trill, which could explain why I did not note the full song as usually given. I am sure it was not just a SPTO variation. It would be ideal to have better confirmation, but at this part of the Island that is probably doubtful. The habitat was higher chaparral with chemise, so actually quite like BCSP habitat on the mainland although lower elevation."