Topics

[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Baltimore Oriole (1 report)

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Apr 16, 2019 07:28 by Bradley Hacker
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "Dark--but not black--head, pale orange chest, white belly, pale orange vent. Distinguished from HoOr by dark nape. Distinguished from BuOr by dark face. Female; not the male bird photo'd recently by Ryan Seppala. Foraging near tops of flowering gums in concert with BuOr."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Ferruginous Hawk (1 report)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (1 report)

Ferruginous Hawk (Buteo regalis) (1)
- Reported Apr 17, 2019 13:27 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Ynez River, S bank 34.60592 -120.20672, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6059323,-120.2067152&ll=34.6059323,-120.2067152
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Big Buteo with a huge mouth, large bill, yellow fleshy parts. Brownish look indicates a one-year-old bird."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Apr 17, 2019 07:44 by Guy Tingos
- Sedgwick Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.692571,-120.0405478&ll=34.692571,-120.0405478
- Comments: "Narrow bill with mostly dark lower mandible. Fairly bright yellow belly with dark gray sides extending down creating a vested appearance. Tail long but appeared short due to primary extension. White eye ring thicker behind eye. Strong wing bars. "

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Semipalmated Plover (1 report)
- Elegant Tern (1 report)

Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus) (3)
- Reported Apr 15, 2019 08:00 by Robert Hansen
- Santa Cruz Island (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.005339,-119.773813&ll=34.005339,-119.773813
- Comments: "3 of these foraged with 1 Snowy Plover on the sandy beach 0.25 mile west-southwest of "road's end" on Frasier Point. I studied these through a 32X Pentax spotting scope and saw the orangey-based bill, orange legs, darker brown (than on the Snowy Plover) dorsal color, complete black breast band, and black feathers just above the bill."

Elegant Tern (Thalasseus elegans) (1)
- Reported Apr 15, 2019 08:00 by Robert Hansen
- Santa Cruz Island (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.005339,-119.773813&ll=34.005339,-119.773813
- Comments: "I used a 32X Pentax spotting scope to study these birds as they loafed with both gull species on black rocks located a few hundred meters from the sandy beach on Frasier Point where the 2 plover species were seen. The orange (not red) bills on these large Sterna terns were too long, thin, and decurved to have been Royal Terns. I was surprised to note that none of these 8 birds had the black forehead that I would have expected to see on alternate plumage birds in mid-April."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Semipalmated Plover (2 reports)
- Elegant Tern (2 reports)
- Lewis's Woodpecker (1 report)
- Orchard Oriole (1 report)

Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus) (3)
- Reported Apr 15, 2019 08:00 by Jim Murray
- Santa Cruz Island (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.005339,-119.773813&ll=34.005339,-119.773813
- Comments: "3 of these foraged with 1 Snowy Plover on the sandy beach 0.25 mile west-southwest of "road's end" on Fraser Point. I studied these through a 32X Pentax spotting scope and saw the orangey-based bill, orange legs, darker brown (than on the Snowy Plover) dorsal color, complete black breast band, and black feathers just above the bill."

Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus) (3)
- Reported Apr 15, 2019 08:00 by peter schuyler
- Santa Cruz Island (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.005339,-119.773813&ll=34.005339,-119.773813
- Comments: "3 of these foraged with 1 Snowy Plover on the sandy beach 0.25 mile west-southwest of "road's end" on Fraser Point. I studied these through a 32X Pentax spotting scope and saw the orangey-based bill, orange legs, darker brown (than on the Snowy Plover) dorsal color, complete black breast band, and black feathers just above the bill."

Elegant Tern (Thalasseus elegans) (1)
- Reported Apr 15, 2019 08:00 by Jim Murray
- Santa Cruz Island (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.005339,-119.773813&ll=34.005339,-119.773813
- Comments: "I used a 32X Pentax spotting scope to study these birds as they loafed with both gull species on black rocks located a few hundred meters from the sandy beach on Fraser Point where the 2 plover species were seen. The orange (not red) bills on these large Sterna terns were too long, thin, and decurved to have been Royal Terns. I was surprised to note that none of these 8 birds had the black forehead that I would have expected to see on alternate plumage birds in mid-April."

Elegant Tern (Thalasseus elegans) (1)
- Reported Apr 15, 2019 08:00 by peter schuyler
- Santa Cruz Island (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.005339,-119.773813&ll=34.005339,-119.773813
- Comments: "I used a 32X Pentax spotting scope to study these birds as they loafed with both gull species on black rocks located a few hundred meters from the sandy beach on Fraser Point where the 2 plover species were seen. The orange (not red) bills on these large Sterna terns were too long, thin, and decurved to have been Royal Terns. I was surprised to note that none of these 8 birds had the black forehead that I would have expected to see on alternate plumage birds in mid-April."

Lewis's Woodpecker (Melanerpes lewis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 19, 2019 06:30 by Michael Mulroy
- San Marcos Foothills Preserve, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4555449,-119.7627354&ll=34.4555449,-119.7627354
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "34°27'48"N 119°45'26"W"

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (1)
- Reported Apr 19, 2019 08:25 by John Callender
- Santa Monica Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4070435,-119.5278168&ll=34.4070435,-119.5278168
- Media: 2 Audio
- Comments: "Continuing adult male. Saw him first singing in the bottlebrush on the west end of the footbridge over Santa Monica Creek; later saw him in the top of a flowering eucalyptus on the north side of La Tierra Lane west of Santa Ynez Avenue."