Topics

[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Blue-winged Teal (6 reports)
- Indian Peafowl (1 report)
- Common Ground-Dove (4 reports)
- Rufous Hummingbird (2 reports)
- Virginia Rail (1 report)
- Baird's Sandpiper (1 report)
- Sabine's Gull (4 reports)
- Townsend's Storm-Petrel (11 reports)
- Brown Booby (7 reports)
- Neotropic Cormorant (8 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2)
- Reported Jul 16, 2019 09:35 by Eric Hopson
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing male, associating with a female (presumably BWTE) which made a brief appearance in open water near pickleweed Islands at SW end of the Slough, before she swam back into them. Will post photos ASAP."

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:37 by Kay Regester
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "White crescent on face. White hip patch. So are all the BETE here hybrids? EBird wants me to enter BWTE/CITE. "

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 09:10 by Eric Hopson
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Distinctive male breeding plumage. "

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2)
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 14:27 by Sam S
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Male and female pair south of bridge over slough (first complete bridge inland of half-bridge). Obvious white crescent on male. Didn’t realize these were unusual here/now and didn’t photograph or scrutinize."

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 15:14 by Julie Scotland
- Goleta Sanitary District Plant, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.42334,-119.83231&ll=34.42334,-119.83231
- Comments: "A pair of teal flew over coming from the west, appeared to land in the channel immediately east of the facility. Prominent white facial crescent visible on male. I’m making an assumption that his female partner was also a BWTE. "

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 15:14 by Conor Scotland
- Goleta Sanitary District Plant, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.42334,-119.83231&ll=34.42334,-119.83231
- Comments: "A pair of teal flew over coming from the west, appeared to land in the channel immediately east of the facility. Prominent white facial crescent visible on male. I’m making an assumption that his female partner was also a BWTE. "

Indian Peafowl (Pavo cristatus) (3)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 19:45 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama Ag fields #2 (no public access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9599456,-119.6785985&ll=34.9599456,-119.6785985
- Comments: "Domestic birds"

Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 14:48 by logan kahle
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Known loc. Singing. (34.4674648, -119.9216868)"

Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 08:09 by Sam S
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Known location for this species. One bird in avocado farm near end of public road."

Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 09:33 by Conor McMahon
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Apparently continuing. Heard only - recording."

Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 16:35 by Scott Terrill
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "At north end of Farren Road, an established location for this species."

Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 12, 2019 07:54 by Anonymous eBirder
- Bates Cyn Rd 34.9173 -119.9002, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.917294,-119.900191&ll=34.917294,-119.900191
- Comments: "Adult male with solid rufous back, white breast, full Red gorget"

Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 12, 2019 07:54 by dave haupt
- Bates Cyn Rd 34.9173 -119.9002, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.917294,-119.900191&ll=34.917294,-119.900191
- Comments: "Adult male with solid rufous back, white breast, full Red gorget "

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (3) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 10:45 by John Deacon
- Vandenberg AFB--Triangle Pond, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.7845304,-120.5407548&ll=34.7845304,-120.5407548
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "I reported a VIRA last week. I didn't realize that it was a rarity for this time of year. I returned to get a recording and ended up with 2 on the recording and I heard another in the distance."

Baird's Sandpiper (Calidris bairdii) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 10:54 by Eric Hopson
- Coal Oil Point, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4083967,-119.8797226&ll=34.4083967,-119.8797226
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Medium sized peep with stubby -- nearly straight bill -- short neck and broad breast. Scaly pattern on back. Buffy breast. Wingtips extended beyond tail. Foraging on beach ~ 1/4 mi NW of the Point in in both wet sand (at edge of surf) as well as higher up on beach in dry sand (amongst decomposing seaweed)."

Sabine's Gull (Xema sabini) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 12:00 by David McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic Leg 12p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.787833,-119.675689&ll=33.787833,-119.675689
- Comments: "Will attach pic"

Sabine's Gull (Xema sabini) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 12:00 by Tammy McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic Leg 12p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.787833,-119.675689&ll=33.787833,-119.675689
- Comments: "Will attach pic"

Sabine's Gull (Xema sabini) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 12:00 by Richard Dean
- Ventura Pelagic Leg 12p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.787833,-119.675689&ll=33.787833,-119.675689
- Comments: "Will attach pic"

Sabine's Gull (Xema sabini) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 12:00 by Gaylee Dean
- Ventura Pelagic Leg 12p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.787833,-119.675689&ll=33.787833,-119.675689
- Comments: "Will attach pic"

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 10:59 by Gaylee Dean
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 11a leg, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.845234,-119.539424&ll=33.845234,-119.539424
- Comments: "Bright white upper tail with no dark median streak. Will attach pics. Leaders confirmed I’d. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 10:59 by Tammy McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 11a leg, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.845234,-119.539424&ll=33.845234,-119.539424
- Comments: "Bright white upper tail with no dark median streak. Will attach pics. Leaders confirmed I’d. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 10:59 by David McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 11a leg, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.845234,-119.539424&ll=33.845234,-119.539424
- Comments: "Bright white upper tail with no dark median streak. Will attach pics. Leaders confirmed I’d. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 13:06 by Richard Dean
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 leg 1p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.653318,-119.577248&ll=33.653318,-119.577248
- Comments: "Bright white uppertail with no dark smudges or dark lines down the middle. I’d by trip leaders. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 13:06 by Tammy McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 leg 1p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.653318,-119.577248&ll=33.653318,-119.577248
- Comments: "Bright white uppertail with no dark smudges or dark lines down the middle. I’d by trip leaders. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 13:06 by Gaylee Dean
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 leg 1p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.653318,-119.577248&ll=33.653318,-119.577248
- Comments: "Bright white uppertail with no dark smudges or dark lines down the middle. I’d by trip leaders. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 13:06 by David McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 leg 1p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.653318,-119.577248&ll=33.653318,-119.577248
- Comments: "Bright white uppertail with no dark smudges or dark lines down the middle. I’d by trip leaders. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 12:00 by David McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic Leg 12p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.787833,-119.675689&ll=33.787833,-119.675689
- Comments: "Bright white upper tail with no dark smudges or median line running through it. I’d by trip leaders. "

[...]

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (29)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:27 by Gaylee Dean
- Sutil Rock, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.465406,-119.052964&ll=33.465406,-119.052964
- Comments: "Pics with accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (29)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:27 by Richard Dean
- Sutil Rock, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.465406,-119.052964&ll=33.465406,-119.052964
- Comments: "Pics with accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (29)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:27 by David McQuade
- Sutil Rock, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.465406,-119.052964&ll=33.465406,-119.052964
- Comments: "Pics with accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (29)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:27 by Tammy McQuade
- Sutil Rock, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.465406,-119.052964&ll=33.465406,-119.052964
- Comments: "Pics with accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (6)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:01 by Gaylee Dean
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 Leg 4pm, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.356778,-119.06167&ll=33.356778,-119.06167
- Comments: "Accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (6)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:01 by Tammy McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 Leg 4pm, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.356778,-119.06167&ll=33.356778,-119.06167
- Comments: "Accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (6)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:01 by David McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 Leg 4pm, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.356778,-119.06167&ll=33.356778,-119.06167
- Comments: "Accurate count"

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 16, 2019 10:05 by Conor Scotland
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing on snag out in lagoon, about 150m N of the half bridge. Small relative to DCCO next to it. Acutely angled gape w/ dull white fringe. "

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 16, 2019 09:35 by Eric Hopson
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 9 Photos
- Comments: "Noticeably smaller than DCCO which it was seen perched next to. Relatively long tail, small head and short, mostly gray, bill. Lores were gray as well. Limited Orange chin patch, with faint white boarder. Breast mostly dark brown. Initially seen perched on emergent small woody sticks with one DCCO over open at SW end of the Slough. Later it flew and landed on one of the dead eucalyptus snags (near the parking area at the closed bridge) for a few minutes before flying to and Landing at the far west end of the Slough near beach sand dunes. Will post photos later."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 18:22 by Linda Pittman
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Seen from pullout by half bridge. Not present when I arrived. Cormorants were actively foraging and flying back and forth. Seen on branches in slough, next to DCCO, with wings spread and preening. Smaller than DCCO, longer tail, pointy white edge to gular pouch. It appeared to be somewhat scaley and raggedy. "

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 14:10 by logan kahle
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "!!! Assumed it had left given yesterday’s negative reports. Easily visible on a log not far from mouth in direct comparison to a DC. Was about 2/3rd the size of the dcco and more lightly built overall. Proportionately had notably longer tail and shorter neck, and the neck and tail were about equal length. The neck was thinner than the dc, and the bill was shorter. The bird was on a log for about a minute then got off and swam right into a corner and I lost it. I obtained some poor photos, but unfortunately none from when they were together on the log, so they will be of little use as documentation. Good to know its still around"

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 18:27 by Scott Terrill
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing in the dead tree at the bridge-to-nowhere pullout. Photos by Linda Terrill."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 16:47 by dave haupt
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing. First seen at half bridge then preening on south shore of slouch near beach "

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 14:27 by Sam S
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing from near half-bridge. Not seen right away but eventually flew in from elsewhere. tried to get on a log, shooed away by DCCO, and chose another log. There we had great side by side comparisons with another DCCO. About 1/3rd smaller. White around gape. “Scalier” appearance to back feathering. Will add photos."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 10:07 by Herb Elliott
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Previously reported - Smaller than the near by Double-crested Cormorants with emerald green eyes and pale yellow gular (throat) pouch at base of grayish bill, white V of feathers outlines pouch. The bird was not observed in flight. The bird was with four Double Crested Cormorants on the wood snags in the center of the slough south of the bridge to “no where”."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 13:23 by Teale Fristoe
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing juvenile just north of the western foot bridge. Pretty well hidden despite the small amount of foliage there. Finely streaked breast; grayish back with small white triangles and fine lines."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Blue-winged Teal (2 reports)
- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (4)
- Reported Jul 17, 2019 08:37 by Adrian O'Loghlen
- Goleta Slough Ecological Reserve--Area K, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.42119,-119.84824&ll=34.42119,-119.84824
- Comments: "3 males, 1 rather certain female tightly latched to a male. Then there is a female teal with an older brood of at least 5 that I cannot positively I’d. But a male bluing teal intruded into the brood and female and the female responded aggressively."

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (4)
- Reported Jul 17, 2019 08:37 by Mark Holmgren
- Goleta Slough Ecological Reserve--Area K, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.42119,-119.84824&ll=34.42119,-119.84824
- Comments: "3 males, 1 rather certain female tightly latched to a male. Then there is a female teal (photo attached under Cinnamon Teal) with an older brood of at least 5 that I cannot positively I’d. But a male Blue-winged Teal intruded into the brood and female and the female responded aggressively."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2019 11:37 by Glenn Kincaid
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing, perched on snag in slough. Yellow gular coming to point in rear with white edge. No yellow over bill in front of eye."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eared Grebe (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Eared Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) (1)
- Reported Jul 18, 2019 09:00 by Jeff Miller
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Photos"

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 18, 2019 09:00 by Jeff Miller
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Photos"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 18, 2019 09:37 by Glenn Kincaid
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing, at western bridge."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (2 reports)
- Willow Flycatcher (1 report)

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2019 09:40 by Joan Lentz
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Immature. Continuing at rocks north of Phelps Creek bridge. Found by Glenn Kincaid. Nearby were two immature Black-crowned Night Heron."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2019 09:40 by Libby Patten
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Immature. Continuing at rocks north of Phelps Creek bridge. Found by Glenn Kincaid. Nearby were two immature Black-crowned Night Heron."

Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 08:45 by Peter Schneekloth
- Santa Ynez River at Santa Rosa Road, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6071008,-120.1943135&ll=34.6071008,-120.1943135
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Reddish Egret (1 report)

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 19:05 by Jessie Altstatt
- Jalama Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5099836,-120.5014432&ll=34.5099836,-120.5014432
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Bird was actively foraging at small pond at creek mouth. Creek not open to ocean. Observed bird to spot and then rapidly chase after submerged prey. On a return look 15 minutes later, bird was gone."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Redhead (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (3 reports)
- Sharp-shinned Hawk (1 report)

Redhead (Aythya americana) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 20, 2019 10:22 by David Compton
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Female"

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 18:13 by Lori Gaskin
- Cachuma Lake Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5739701,-119.9579144&ll=34.5739701,-119.9579144
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "The general body color of this bird is soft gray. But on the belly, upper neck, and head the color takes on a reddish-gray tone. Iris yellow. Relative to Great Blue Heron this bird is unpatterned on the head, but with a longer neck, longer bill, smaller body. Legs are grayish, but bill shows a slightly darker tip and a brownish-pinkish base. There are some feather anomalies that may allow it to be distinguished from other ReEg currently occurring in the county. Bent feathers along the left radius appear on all photos and are not wind-induced. On the right side and entire panel along the radius is lifted, but this could be wind-induced. No vocalizations. Very little 'dancing' presumably because there is little food to dance for. This bird would seem to be a non-breeding adult since it lacks the feather fringes that would appear on the wing coverts of a juvenile."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 18:13 by Mark Holmgren
[...]

- Reported Jul 21, 2019 11:33 by Mark Holmgren
[...]

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) (2)
- Reported Jul 16, 2019 18:15 by Kevin Elliott
- 1-Lompoc Home, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.690295,-120.4703075&ll=34.690295,-120.4703075
- Comments: "two juveniles in Eucalyptus trees on trail south end Providence Landing"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Ring-necked Duck (1 report)

Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2019 14:53 by Mark Holmgren
- La Cumbre Country Club, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4320095,-119.7586155&ll=34.4320095,-119.7586155
- Comments: "Imm. Could not get a photo because it rested on the south shore of the central peninsula. Pale ring of feathers around bill. Suggestion of peaked crown. Pale brown face"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (2 reports)

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 23, 2019 11:28 by Mark Holmgren
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Seen at Slough bottom and in main estuary."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 23, 2019 18:13 by Eric Hopson
- Cachuma Lake Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5739701,-119.9579144&ll=34.5739701,-119.9579144
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Will post photos. "

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 23, 2019 11:28 by Mark Holmgren
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Two juvenile, grayish-brown night-herons were present west of the Devereux Slough half bridge around noon today. One of these was found by Tom Turner earlier in the morning. Features that distinguish these 2 birds from the nearby juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron were the white lateral margins of the greater secondary coverts, the stubbier bill, and the longer legs. When I left the Reserve at 1:30pm, only a single YCNH was present at the half bridge."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 23, 2019 10:03 by Thomas Turner
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Juvenile at the bridge-to-nowhere roost."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Blue-winged Teal (2 reports)
- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Baltimore Oriole (1 report)

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (4)
- Reported Jul 22, 2019 17:01 by Mark Holmgren
- Goleta Slough Ecological Reserve--Area K, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.42119,-119.84824&ll=34.42119,-119.84824
- Comments: "Female preening in the channel below the bluff. A male with a female and another male."

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2019 14:53 by Mark Holmgren
- La Cumbre Country Club, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4320095,-119.7586155&ll=34.4320095,-119.7586155
- Comments: "Male"

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 23, 2019 11:28 by Jessica Nielsen
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Seen at Slough bottom and in main estuary."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2)
- Reported Jul 23, 2019 11:28 by Jessica Nielsen
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Two juvenile, grayish-brown night-herons were present west of the Devereux Slough half bridge around noon today. One of these was found by Tom Turner earlier in the morning. Features that distinguish these 2 birds from the nearby juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron were the white lateral margins of the greater secondary coverts, the stubbier bill, and the longer legs. When I left the Reserve at 1:30pm, only a single YCNH was present at the half bridge."

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Jul 24, 2019 15:50 by margeNdon thornton
- 250 FirTree, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4407122,-119.8908859&ll=34.4407122,-119.8908859
- Comments: "At the grape jelly feeder, bright orange male with all black head. Did not stay long enough to get the camera."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Blue-winged Teal (1 report)
- Eared Grebe (1 report)
- Buller's Shearwater (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (3 reports)

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 25, 2019 15:56 by Eric Hopson
- Goleta Slough Ecological Reserve--Area K, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.42119,-119.84824&ll=34.42119,-119.84824
- Comments: "Pair. Male loosing breeding plumage, but white crescent on forehead and white hip patch still plain to see. "

Eared Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 25, 2019 11:04 by Mark Holmgren
- Jameson Reservoir 34.4890 -119.5061, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.48904,-119.506057&ll=34.48904,-119.506057
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Due to the iris being as red as that of the other bird, I believe this bird was an adult and possible partner to the Alternate-plumaged adult. There was no begging, just the two birds together tracking each other."

Buller's Shearwater (Ardenna bulleri) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 25, 2019 13:25 by Joel Barrett
- Offshore--Santa Cruz Island vicinity (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.8612931,-119.6630859&ll=33.8612931,-119.6630859
- Comments: "Pure white underside. Gray on top with dark pattern across the wings. Flying with two Sooty Shearwater’s but had more buoyant flight with much less flapping. Even more buoyant than a Pink-footed Shearwater. "

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 25, 2019 15:21 by Eric Hopson
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing juv. near end of road at blocked bridge. Overall plumage darker than juv YCNHs. All black bill thicker and stubbier. "

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 25, 2019 10:56 by Joan Kent
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "2 juveniles at half bridge. Distinguished by spots & thick bill. "

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 09:57 by margeNdon thornton
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Blue-winged Teal (2 reports)
- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (3)
- Reported Jul 26, 2019 18:45 by Christopher Kibler
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.44322,-119.84975&ll=34.44322,-119.84975
- Comments: "Male had characteristic white band behind the bill. Travelling with two females. All were noticeably smaller than the mallards swimming nearby."

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (1)
- Reported Jul 26, 2019 12:35 by Mark Holmgren
- Rancho Guadalupe Dunes Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.963438,-120.6504714&ll=34.963438,-120.6504714
- Comments: "Female, small duck, strong facial pattern, somewhat spatulate bill, small white spot at base of Bill"

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 22, 2019 07:02 by Sangeet Khalsa
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Smaller than DCCO, with long tail and faint thin white line around base of bill/chin."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 26, 2019 09:45 by Jamie Chavez
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Most likely a continuing bird reported the previous week. Was absent for much of the time then flew to the estuary mouth to feed but only stayed about 10 - 15 minutes before flying north to the SLO side of the estuary. Photographed"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 22, 2019 07:02 by Sangeet Khalsa
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "2 juveniles perched on the end of the bridge. Darker than BCNH, with smaller white spots on tips of wing feathers, longer legs, and heavier bill (blackish on upper mandible)."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Common Ground-Dove (1 report)
- Sharp-shinned Hawk (1 report)

Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) (2)
- Reported Jul 27, 2019 07:15 by Mark Holmgren
- Tecolote Ck, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.44727,-119.917904&ll=34.44727,-119.917904
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "At 34.46108 -119.91599 on W side creek, another on E side"

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) (1)
- Reported Jul 27, 2019 10:14 by Thomas Turner
- Camino Corto Open Space and Del Sol Vernal Pool Preserve, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4145111,-119.8673469&ll=34.4145111,-119.8673469
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Strange time of year for one, but this perched hawk seemed to have a very small head and bill. See photos. Happy to be corrected if mistaken."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (6 reports)
- Bell's Vireo (Least) (3 reports)
- Lucy's Warbler (1 report)

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 16:44 by David Sexton
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing, compared with Double-crested Cormorants nearby, overall smaller body., head, bill. White V at base of chin."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 08:03 by Norman Pillsbury
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 1 Photo

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 08:03 by Jeff Miller
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 1 Photo

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 08:03 by Pair of Wing-Nuts
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 1 Photo

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 06:44 by Jeff Miller
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 4 Photos

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 06:44 by Pair of Wing-Nuts
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 4 Photos

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 06:44 by Norman Pillsbury
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 4 Photos

Bell's Vireo (Least) (Vireo bellii pusillus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 10:46 by Norman Pillsbury
- Jim May Park (fmr River Oaks Park), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9747532,-120.4258633&ll=34.9747532,-120.4258633
- Media: 8 Photos

Bell's Vireo (Least) (Vireo bellii pusillus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 10:46 by Jeff Miller
- Jim May Park (fmr River Oaks Park), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9747532,-120.4258633&ll=34.9747532,-120.4258633
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Singing, photos"

Bell's Vireo (Least) (Vireo bellii pusillus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 10:46 by Pair of Wing-Nuts
- Jim May Park (fmr River Oaks Park), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9747532,-120.4258633&ll=34.9747532,-120.4258633
- Media: 8 Photos

Lucy's Warbler (Oreothlypis luciae) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 28, 2019 10:00 by Guy Tingos
- 5049 Walnut Park Drive, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4508251,-119.7977167&ll=34.4508251,-119.7977167
- Comments: "small warbler at water feature: gray above, dark eye on a pale face, no chestnut seen on crown, small, buffy wing bars, some chestnut/buff in upper tail coverts, off-white below with diffuse buffy wash across breast. Very active and flighty at water feature.seen well but briefly several times. possible juvenile."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Nazca Booby (1 report)
- Neotropic Cormorant (2 reports)

Nazca Booby (Sula granti) (1)
- Reported Jul 25, 2019 13:54 by Charlie Wright
- NABO_072519, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.463597,-120.544205&ll=34.463597,-120.544205
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Only 3.5nm from shore. Identified from photos."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 29, 2019 16:55 by Mark Holmgren
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "From where I scoped I could only distinguish a smaller cormorant, thus it is assumed to be the NECO"

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 29, 2019 14:20 by Kristina Wolf
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Perched next to a double-crested cormorant, considerably smaller in size. "

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (1 report)
- Solitary Sandpiper (1 report)
- Black Tern (3 reports)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 27, 2019 10:20 by John Deacon
- Vandenberg AFB--Triangle Pond, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.7845304,-120.5407548&ll=34.7845304,-120.5407548
- Comments: "Ongoing at this location. Grunt display heard from 2 birds."

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1)
- Reported Jul 30, 2019 08:30 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9519718,-119.6969408&ll=34.9519718,-119.6969408
- Comments: "Small white Tringa. Regular in Cuyama Valley in migration. Too far away to see spots and eyering - identified by size, stance, bill, behaviour. FOS. Bird no longer present at 1 p.m."

Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 30, 2019 11:38 by John Callender
- Mission Creek outflow (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4127959,-119.6869361&ll=34.4127959,-119.6869361
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Reported earlier today by Joan Lentz. Seen flying over the outfall lagoon and over the ocean between Stearn’s Wharf and East Beach. Small, gray wings above and below, characteristic head pattern, buoyant flight."

Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 30, 2019 10:49 by Mark Holmgren
- Mission Creek outflow (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4127959,-119.6869361&ll=34.4127959,-119.6869361
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "As Mark and I were scanning the birds here, I looked through the scope and spotted what I thought might be a Black Tern. Mark agreed. We watched the bird for a long time perched, took multiple photos, but they're distant. A small tern with dark gray wings above and below, white forehead, dark cap and nape, but white patch coming up on side of neck, then dark vertical patch reaches down. Separates white hindneck from underwing in flight. Not sure if bird is a juvenile or an adult coming into non-breeding plumage. Several other birders there saw it, got photos."

Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 30, 2019 10:49 by Joan Lentz
[...]

- Reported Aug 01, 2019 07:50 by John Callender
- Goleta Slough Ecological Reserve--Area K, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.42119,-119.84824&ll=34.42119,-119.84824
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing. A group of three in the east end of Area K."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2019 15:02 by Eric Monaghen
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Large waders stalking on far side of estuary. Reddish head chest and neck bluish below. Very familiar with reddish egret from Tezas Gulf coast"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2019 18:28 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Immature, perched on a fence post on the east bank of the Franklin Creek channel north of the footbridge. Distinguished from immature Black-crowned Night-Heron by heavy, dark bill; small light spots on the folded wings; long legs."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Aug 01, 2019 06:26 by John Callender
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Immature. Perched on the half-bridge. Long legs, small back spots/streaks, dark heavy bill."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Aug 02, 2019 07:36 by Jeff Miller
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "juvenile; photos "

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 02, 2019 09:17 by Joan Lentz
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Bird has been observed here previously, perhaps the same immature that was present awhile ago at NCOS western bridge? An immature bird with long, yellowish legs, blackish back with conspicuous white spotting, See Photo"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Aug 03, 2019 09:56 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. In the marsh park basin (along Ash Avenue) near the culvert connecting to the Franklin Creek channel. Subadult; noticeably older than the individual I saw near here a few days ago (i.e., this was a second individual)."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (2 reports)

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 04, 2019 09:23 by David Compton
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing. "

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 03, 2019 15:49 by Anita Sohus
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing. Juvenile. On bare branches in bush across channel near bridge. Near BCNH. Medium grey with white spots on back (smaller than BCNH juvenile spots), sturdy dark bill, long yellow legs. No camera so no photo. "

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 03, 2019 15:49 by Jim Margitan