Topics

[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- White-winged Dove (1 report)
- Lesser Nighthawk (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Ovenbird (2 reports)

White-winged Dove (Zenaida asiatica) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 21, 2019 15:37 by John Deacon
- Deacon Home, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.8871835,-120.432204&ll=34.8871835,-120.432204
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Caught on GameCam. I observed it on 9/19 also"

Lesser Nighthawk (Chordeiles acutipennis) (2)
- Reported Sep 22, 2019 19:11 by Santiago Lupi
- Dune Pond at COPR, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136777,-119.881839&ll=34.4136777,-119.881839
- Comments: "Both were circling around dune pond at dusk. They had white close to their wing tips and a nighthawk shape and flight style."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Sep 22, 2019 09:28 by Mark Holmgren
- Dune Pond at COPR, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136777,-119.881839&ll=34.4136777,-119.881839
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Photos "

Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 22, 2019 11:03 by David Compton
- Ortega Ridge pines, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.428427,-119.600994&ll=34.428427,-119.600994
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Found earlier in the morning by John Callendar. I refound it at about 11:30 in the lower branches (1-2 ft above the ground) of woody plants at the northwest corner of Ortega Ranch Lane and Ortega Ranch Road. It then dropped to the ground, and I watched it from a distance as it walked around on the ground, in leaf litter and fallen pine needles. I got good, unobstructed views, mostly from a distance of 40 feet or more. The bird was somewhat flighty and obviously aware of me. So I mostly kept a distance and tried to get looks through the vegetation. It was a smallish warbler with a medium-length tail that probably looked shorter because of the long white under tail coverts. The upper parts were mostly a dull olive, except for the head (and possibly the tail, which I think was olive or brownish). The bird was white below with thick, contrasting black streaking on the breast, sides, and at least part of the belly. The bird had a bold white eye ring, a black lateral throat stripe, a yellowish or light brown moustachial stripe, black lateral crown stripes, and a dull chestnut central crown stripe. The bird walked constantly when on the ground, all the time with its tail cocked high. My poor photos show that the legs were pink."

Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 22, 2019 06:48 by John Callender
- Ortega Ridge pines, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.428427,-119.600994&ll=34.428427,-119.600994
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Walking on the ground under the brush canopy near (34.4280685, -119.6011396). Olive above, white with heavy black streaks below, orange crown stripe bordered by black, white eye ring. Walked with a sedate pace and a cocked tail."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Broad-winged Hawk (1 report)
- Green-tailed Towhee (1 report)

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 08:30 by Anonymous eBirder
- Goleta slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4204415,-119.8395016&ll=34.4204415,-119.8395016
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Juvenile yellow-crowned night heron sitting on a wire with a juvenile black-crowned night heron; has a thicker bill"

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (1)
- Reported Sep 23, 2019 09:00 by Anonymous eBirder
- Jalama Road, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5118043,-120.4485333&ll=34.5118043,-120.4485333
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "As fog lifted, TVs began to lift off from a roost along creek two miles east of US1. They formed a kettle of c.40 birds. A small Buteo flew up from the same roost site and joined the kettle. It had pointed wings with dark trailing edge. Characteristic fast and shallow flap-flap-flap glide flight. Photos show broad bands in tail (not seen at the time). Kettle split in two. Hawk went with group headed south-south-east to hill with radio masts.."

Green-tailed Towhee (Pipilo chlorurus) (1)
- Reported Sep 22, 2019 06:30 by Eduardo Jimenez
- Santa Cruz Island--Scorpion Campground, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0488223,-119.5624803&ll=34.0488223,-119.5624803
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Surprise bird. Observed by others. Photo taken."