Topics

[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Reddish Egret (2 reports)

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 09, 2020 16:14 by Larry Chen
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Continuing bird, hanging out with the DCCOs. Bleached-looking dark egret with patchy reddish-slate plumage."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 09, 2020 16:14 by Sarah Toner
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Continuing bird, hanging out with the DCCOs. Bleached-looking dark egret with patchy reddish-slate plumage."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Common Ground Dove (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Cattle Egret (2 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (2 reports)

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (3) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 09, 2020 09:49 by Mark Holmgren
- Tecolote Creek -- Hwy 101 to LPNF, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.44727,-119.917904&ll=34.44727,-119.917904
- Comments: "Calling At 34.457375,-119.916776 but I don’t see adjacent orchards on aerial photos of my position.
Again calling 2 individuals near 34.46476 -119.91489"

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 10, 2020 13:32 by Linus Blomqvist
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing juvenile. Photos to come."

Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 10, 2020 15:07 by David Blue
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "An adult in breeding plumage on the peninsula in the estuary mouth with a flock of Western Gulls. First found this morning by Florence Sanchez."

Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 10, 2020 12:36 by Andrew McGrath
- Goleta Beach Park, Goleta US-CA 34.41725, -119.82817, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.417248,-119.828174&ll=34.417248,-119.828174
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Seen on sandy spit. Flew from deeper in slough and rested in flock of western gulls. Egret about the dove of snowy with yellow Bill and orange crown and plume."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 10, 2020 15:07 by David Blue
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "A continuing immature bird with a thick, all-gray bill. Roosting in the foliage along the right side of the stream looking east from the bridge."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 09, 2020 16:45 by Susanne Meyer
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird roosting in its usual spot in the brush east of the bridge"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Reddish Egret (2 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (2 reports)

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 11, 2020 07:58 by John Deacon
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Ongoing local rarity. Dark morph. Grayish blue overall. Juvenile bird. Similar in height to nearby SNEG. Grayish bird. He did a little of the foraging "dance" typical of this species."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 11, 2020 07:42 by Teale Fristoe
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing. Appeared in west side of island around 8, started foraging a bit around 8:20."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 11, 2020 12:32 by David Compton
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing 3Y (about 2 yrs old)"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 10, 2020 16:15 by Michael I Christie
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "first summer bird in tree E of access bridge, amid black-crowns (thanks to tip from birder), fs"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Hermit Thrush (2 reports)
- Baltimore Oriole (1 report)
- Northern Parula (1 report)

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 12, 2020 10:29 by Joan Lentz
- Goleta Beach Park, Goleta US-CA 34.41727, -119.82845, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.417271,-119.828445&ll=34.417271,-119.828445
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Seen on north bank from viewing platform, then flew to near bank under bushes where difficult to see but perched foraging there. Noted dark crown, some white coming encircling the bottom of the cheek. Otherwise streaky appearance on front, although back is beginning to be all grayish. Not sure of age but probably not a juvenile, although immature."

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (3) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 11, 2020 09:06 by Mark Holmgren
- Kinevan Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5069163,-119.8225639&ll=34.5069163,-119.8225639
- Comments: "Two heard singing simultaneously from different locations near the upstream end of Kinevan Road.  Prior to that we heard a singing bird at about the mid-point of Kinevan Rd.  On this basis we believed there were three singing birds present."

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (3) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 11, 2020 09:06 by Conor McMahon
- Kinevan Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5069163,-119.8225639&ll=34.5069163,-119.8225639
- Comments: "Two heard singing simultaneously from different locations near the upstream end of Kinevan Road.  Prior to that we heard a singing bird at about the mid-point of Kinevan Rd.  On this basis we believed there were three singing birds present."

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Jul 12, 2020 10:11 by Andrew McGrath
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "34.4238, -119.8946 just west of the end of Santa Barbara Shores Road. Deep orange oriole with entirely black head. Seen associating with hooded orioles"

Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) (1)
- Reported Jul 12, 2020 10:11 by Andrew McGrath
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "34.4238, -119.8946 just west of the end of Santa Barbara Shores Road. Warbler with blue head and back and yellow underside. Pointed black bill. Spots of orange on throat. Unfortunately did not call nor stay visible long enough for photo. Flirting around understory/fallen log"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Hermit Thrush (1 report)
- Northern Parula (2 reports)

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (1)
- Reported Jul 12, 2020 08:07 by David Blue
- Kinevan Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5069163,-119.8225639&ll=34.5069163,-119.8225639
- Comments: "Heard a single bird singing repeatedly, and seen very briefly, after the first right curve coming downstream from the t-intersection at the end of the road (34.5068150, -119.8241901). A beautiful ethereal song beginning with a long whistle followed by two or three higher phrases then fading at end. Will upload audio later."

Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) (2)
- Reported Jul 13, 2020 09:25 by Lori Gaskin
- 1597–2803 Alisal Rd, Goleta US-CA 34.53982, -120.16208, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.539817,-120.162081&ll=34.539817,-120.162081
- Comments: "At (34.53988 -120.16248). Found originally in sycamore on south side of road across small field. Flew across road from south to north landing close to north side of road in bay tree. Soon thereafter a chase between this male and a bird with white belly and blue-gray wings was seen by both observers. We believe this second bird was also a NOPA."

Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) (2)
- Reported Jul 13, 2020 09:25 by Mark Holmgren
- 1597–2803 Alisal Rd, Goleta US-CA 34.53982, -120.16208, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.539817,-120.162081&ll=34.539817,-120.162081
- Comments: "At (34.53988 -120.16248). Found originally in sycamore on south side of road across small field. Flew across road from south to north landing close to north side of road in bay tree. Soon thereafter a chase between this male and a bird with white belly and blue-gray wings was seen by both observers. We believe we are correct in assuming this was also a NOPA."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Common Ground Dove (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2020 10:07 by Rebecca Coulter
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Singing in avocado orchard on the east side of the road about 1/4 mile north of the Reservoir."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2020 16:46 by Peter Schneekloth
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Egret, chalky reddish and blue tones overall, reddish bill, continuing bird."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2020 14:50 by Betsy Mooney
- Goleta Beach Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4173939,-119.8280364&ll=34.4173939,-119.8280364
- Comments: "Juvenile to left of observation deck on opposite shore."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eared Grebe (1 report)
- Nazca Booby (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Cooper's Hawk (2 reports)

Eared Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) (1)
- Reported Jul 15, 2020 15:46 by Teresa Connell
- Prisoner's and Scorpion's harbors transfer (inshore), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.055575,-119.5945501&ll=34.055575,-119.5945501
- Comments: "Full breeding plumage, will post pict. Sorry to see only one leg, located inside cove."

Nazca Booby (Sula granti) (1)
- Reported Jul 15, 2020 15:46 by Teresa Connell
- Prisoner's and Scorpion's harbors transfer (inshore), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.055575,-119.5945501&ll=34.055575,-119.5945501
- Comments: "Will post Pict."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 15, 2020 08:03 by Tom Beland
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird, seen from bike path across from bushes behind park residence. Grayish back, large black bill. Photo attached"

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) (1)
- Reported Jul 15, 2020 10:19 by Kendra Kocab
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Heard calling above the harbor in repeated single notes."

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) (1)
- Reported Jul 15, 2020 10:19 by Teresa Connell
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Heard calling above the harbor in repeated single notes."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Blue-winged Teal (1 report)
- Eared Grebe (1 report)
- Common Ground Dove (1 report)
- Nazca Booby (1 report)

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2)
- Reported Jul 16, 2020 13:07 by Mark Holmgren
- La Cumbre Country Club, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4320095,-119.7586155&ll=34.4320095,-119.7586155
- Comments: "The male of the apparent pair was more diagnosable than the female. Male showed small duck size, white spot on the sides of the dark butt, black spots on cinnamon sides, greenish speculum, faint white crescent on face, and a black bill. The female stuck close to the male, was small dark and that’s about all I saw of it. Seen by scope at the NE corner of the lagoon about 225m from my view point."

Eared Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2020 15:46 by Kendra Kocab
- Prisoner's and Scorpion's harbors transfer (inshore), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.055575,-119.5945501&ll=34.055575,-119.5945501
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Full breeding plumage, will post pict. Sorry to see only one leg, located inside cove."

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 16, 2020 09:20 by Susanne Meyer
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "small dove with pink based bill in avocado orchard far up the road on ground behind fence. Photos taken from the road"

Nazca Booby (Sula granti) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2020 15:46 by Kendra Kocab
- Prisoner's and Scorpion's harbors transfer (inshore), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.055575,-119.5945501&ll=34.055575,-119.5945501
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Will post Pict."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 13:58 by Jamie Chavez
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing imm seen at the mouth of the estuary. Pinkish and gray egret with long bi-colored bill. Often feeding with wings spread. Solitary"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2020 08:15 by margeNdon thornton
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Heavy, black bill, cheeks beginning to be white, feathers on back dark grey with light edges."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Willet (Western) (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (2 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Willet (Western) (Tringa semipalmata inornata) (2)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 09:34 by Bruce Aird
- Coal Oil Point--Devereux Beach and Sands Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4071359,-119.8783064&ll=34.4071359,-119.8783064
- Comments: "Two birds, overall grayish plumage, white lateral stripe I'm wings when in flight, bluish gray legs, photos to add."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 10:17 by David Compton
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing juvenile"

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 06:10 by John Callender
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing dark morph."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 19:05 by Susanne Meyer
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird in brush East of bridge"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Common Ground Dove (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (3 reports)

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 15:30 by Bradley Hacker
- 1100 Vereda Ciervo, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4583,-119.9145&ll=34.4583,-119.9145
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "Calling from avocado orchard on east side of Tecolote Canyon. Bad recording in the wind."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 13:28 by Mark Holmgren
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Bird near beach berm. Distant view through scope so not seen well. But this appeared to be the same bird that’s been present here and that I saw on 2 July."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 13:45 by Liam Hampl
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Photos."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 13:45 by Kilian Hampl